Status
Not open for further replies.

overvoltage

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I upgraded from Prote1 99 to the current version of @ltium late last year and have installed the last two updates.

My boss has the license in his name so I can't access the official boards at all. My boss also thought it would be convenient for me to have a brand new laptop so I can work on the go.

My system is incredible slow it's not even funny.

T5750 2.00GHz
Vista 64-bit
4 GB ram
GeForcce 9500M GS

I am on a Wireless-G network with all projects and libraries on the server.

If I double click on a symbol in a schematic it takes 7 seconds for the dialog to appear.

It takes 45 seconds to add a schematic to a project.

For everything I do I seriously wonder if it's crashed or if I need to wait a few more minutes.

I am not talking PCB layout here. The UI in general is slower than mud. You can take a coffee break waiting for the File menu to drop down.

If you type in the name of a symbol, it acts like it's searching the all libraries for each letter that you type. Can I shut that off?

Task Manager rarely shows dxp.exe go above 7 percent CPU. The computer is essentially idle while I am waiting.

I tried compiling my libraries. That took about half an hour.

Could someone tell me about their performance and what changes I need to make?

Thanks,
overvoltage

I am also using the latest (Winter 09 I think) release. A couple of simple suggestions.

1.. Don't use Vista!
2.. Always work with files locally then copy them back to the server.

We use CVS, so I check-out my design files from the server and work locally. My machine is a Pentium 4 3GHz with 1.25gb RAM, ATI Radeon 9800XT video (so I can't use 3D).

This configuration actually works pretty well until I get to things like auto-routing 16 layer boards, or cross probing boards with 2000-3000 components.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…