Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LT1037 Replacement - Wien-Bridge Oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceblu3710

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I find it quite off but Mouser does not carry any products from Linear Technologies. I was looking for a LT1037 when I realized it.

So I need help trying to find a suitable replacement that I can get from Mouser. Here is the proposed project:

A Wien-Bridge Oscillator that has a THD = <0.05 with a noise floor of -100dB. I have sourced all the tight tolerance capacitors and the multi position rotary switch but without a very high quality op-amp the project is pretty useless. I am planning on putting two of these oscillators in a case with several additional stages. One would provide the sine wave output with amplitude and offset control. The Wien-Bridge would feed another two stages as well, one being a square wave with adjustable duty cycle and the other a sawtooth generator. Each can be generated from the previous however as each stage introduces noise the Wien-Bridge require a very clean and noise free output.

So anybody know a suitable op-amp?

Re: [Moved] LT1037 Replacement - Wien-Bridge Oscillator

TI OPA227/228 would be my first choice for similar applications.

Iceblue, it seems that the decision has been made already to use the WIEN bridge oscillator type.
I like to point to the fact that - in case you intend to vary the oscillation frequency - this oscillator type requires to vary two parts simultaneously. Didn't you consider other oscillator circuits?

@LvW - I am planning on using a close tolerance dual potentiometer to very the freq and the dual 4 position rotary switch to select different capacitors for the freq range. I am using Linears Application Note 5 - Page 8 as it is the highest quality oscillator I have seen.

I would consider other circuits but only if the meet my goal of <0.05% THD and a noise floor of -100dB. Do you know of any other solutions?

@LvW - I am planning on using a close tolerance dual potentiometer to very the freq and the dual 4 position rotary switch to select different capacitors for the freq range. I am using Linears Application Note 5 - Page 8 as it is the highest quality oscillator I have seen.

I would consider other circuits but only if the meet my goal of <0.05% THD and a noise floor of -100dB. Do you know of any other solutions?

OK, no general objections. However, the THD value is determined by the amplitude stabilizing network - and the noise floor mainly by the op-amp and the associated resistors. That means, for my opinion, these requirements do not necessarily lead to the WIEN type oscillator. My only concern was the necessity of a dual potentiometer.
Another comment: If you dislike the proposed stabilization principle (PTC, lamps) you could apply also a thermistor with negative temperature characteristics in replacement of (or in combination with) the feedback resistor. I think this could simplify the parts selection (a broader variety of parts, types and time constants).
Good luck
LvW

Status
Not open for further replies.