Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lowest cost Embedded Linux Solution for Ethernet and Wi-Fi Web-Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimlink

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am in search of lowest cost but with good linux BSP support for an embedded web-server solution. The solution must support both Ethernet and Wi-Fi.
The Wi-Fi must support both Adhoc and Infra-structure mode of network.

My Hardware should have following features:
1. UARTs
2. SPI (for Wi-Fi)
3. USB (for Wi-Fi)
4. Boot from SPI flash or uSD
5. Ethernet Interface
6. Some GPIO pins
7. Assume there is no color or graphic display.

I have narrowed down my search to Atmel AT91SAM, but dont know how it compares with other solutions by other ARM chip vendors such as:

NXP LPC Series,
FREESCALE MK60 Series,
ST Micro STM32 Series.

I am looking for an ARM microcontroller for which there is free embedded linux support (Reference Designs, Free Linux OS, BSP, Drivers, Code examples etc).

1. Do you think i can find an ARM-Linux solution where i can run linux from on chip flash (lets say 512k) and on chip RAM (lets say 128k) and can still run fully working embedded webserver on ethernet and Wi-Fi interfaces?

2. How much minimum RAM and Flash would be needed for running an embedded Linux and web-server on both ethernet and Wi-Fi interface?
3. I would appreciate if people share their experience with low cost arm chips they have used.

Regards

Last edited:

Not sure if this would help but you may be better of using a RaspberryPi

Hi hemanteda,

My this requirement is for a cutom designed product that will have some large production quantity. The RaspberryPi uses, Broadcom SOC, which is an excellent chip but broadcom does not release technical details or datasheet of their chip without a sale agreement with them in access of 10,000 pcs a year.

I am looking for a low cost solution which is available freely (without any agreements) through multiple chip vendors.

I agree Broadcom doesn't want the internals to be out in the open yet... hopefully they'll realize that they are already making enough money from it and maybe releasing the specs would further add to the sales figures

Have you considered the TI 1GHz AM3359 Sitara ARM Cortex-A8 or other member of the same series?

Complete documentation is readily available on the TI website:

TI AM3359 Sitara ARM Cortex-A8 Microprocessor

There are several compatible Linux Distros available.

The device is the basis of the BeagleBone Black series of low cost dev boards, $45 MSRP:

**broken link removed**

BeagleBone Black

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.