Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low pass filter confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjohn

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am designing this very simple low pass filter, and also with the view to drop the Voltage to 3.3v from 24v.
Here are the specs: Cut off frequency: 297 Hz
I started initially with the following combination:

+24v
R1
................C....Ground
R2
Ground

Now the values: R1 = 390K
R2 = 62K
C = 10nF

I am getting the right values in simulation and every thing but I do not seem to make the relationship between these values and known theory that Cut off frequency is calculated as:

F = 1/2*3.14*R*C
If I take R as 390K and C as 10nF (both in series) cut off frequency is about 40 Hz. But as soon as I add (R2) 62K resistor in parallel with the RC Filter, the cut off frequency changes to 298 H. Which is what I require, but why????

I thought R2 is just acting as load and should not effect the cutoff.

Please help me clarify this confusion.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

But as soon as I add (R2) 62K resistor in parallel with the RC Filter, the cut off frequency changes to 298 Hz.
Right, the RC time constant is formed by the output resistance of the voltage divider and the capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.