Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for SD Host Controller Specification 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaima_ko

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm looking for SD card host controller spec V1.0, to learn about the compatibility of the MCU S3C2410 which supports SD 1.0. I think a simplified version would be good enough for me. Unfortunately, v1.0 of the spec seem to be no longer available at Home - SD Association nor I could find it anywhere in the Internet :(

And one dangling question is it (SMDK2410/Linux-2.6.27) seems to work find with both SDSC and SDHC. Could it be? Does SD host controller 1.0 support SDHC card? More specifically, the datasheet of the MCU says:
— SD Memory Card Spec. (ver. 1.0) / MMC Spec. (2.11) compatible
— SDIO Card Spec (ver. 1.0) compatible

I'd appreciate your help very much.

Kaimi.

This seems to give me some clues how a SD host controller v1.0 can actually support SDHC card:

The communication protocols for the SDHC / SDXC / SDIO families are slightly different than the established SD family, which has caused older host devices to not recognize the newer card families. When a SDHC or SDXC card is inserted into an older SD host device, it shouldn't cause any physical or electrical damage to either the card or host device, though the host device won't be able to recognize the card. Some older host devices don't correctly handle 2 GB and/or 4 GB SD cards since they use larger blocks. Most incompatiblity issues can be resolved with a firmware update, but unfortunately vendors rarely correct issues in older host devices.

So it may have happened that I had an SDHC enabled software driver (in Linux) which can actually drive the SD host controller 1.0 with SDHC card??? Without spec v1.0 of the SD host controller, I can't figure out what's the hard limit of the host controller, or what can be supported by newer firmware over the old host controller. Any suggestions? Where should I look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back