Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for documents for building DVI interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phytex

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to build a DVI Interface in a Altera Stratix Device. But at first I need some Dokumentation about the DVI Standart. Can somebody help me and say me were I can find some dokuments about it??

THX, Phytex

If you want to build a DVI Interface, you have to provide DDC info about your display.
Otherwise, VGA card will not turn on DVI transmitter.:p

you also need to check the TMDS transmitter on Silicon Image, TI or ADI 's website

nari said:
you also need to check the TMDS transmitter on Silicon Image, TI or ADI 's website

Phytex didn't tell us what he want exactly. If he want to make DVI receiver, when he need apropriate IC and have to provide DDC about his "monitor". Otherwise, he need transmitter and must read DCC from monitor for setting right scan & resolution.
In both cases, it is necesary to have VESA E-EDID and E-DDC standards.
General timing formula (GTF) is also useful.

Exactly what I need...

Hi,

at first, THX for helping! Here is my problem! I have designed a graphic board with a VME-Bus Interface. At present this card have only a standard RGB-Interface. But I'm only using LCD Displays. So it is not very "intelligent" to convert with a brooktree the digital data into analog to transmit them to the LCD display, were they reconverted. So I want to create a DVI Interface for my VME Graphic Board.
But I don't want a IC to handle the communication between LCD and Board, I want to create a Interface by my self. The risem is that I have collected some bad experiences with the Brooktree Chip (can't buy it longer) So I want to create a DVI-Interface for a Altera Stratix Device by my self!!
Because of this, I need the exact specification of the DVI-Transmitter Interface!!

Phytex

PS: Have sombody documentation for it???? THX

Re: Exactly what I need...

Phytex said:
So I want to create a DVI-Interface for a @ltera Stratix Device by my self!! Because of this, I need the exact specification of the DVI-Transmitter Interface!!

Phytex

PS: Have sombody documentation for it???? THX

Here you are!

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

:)

Re: DVI Interface

Hi,

I am in the designing video cards for measurement instrument under very tight cost constraint. Most of the measurement instrument uses TFT-LCD which uses predominantly LVDS interface. Some of the cheaper graphics chipset that I have seen has only TMDS and analog outputs. Is there any way to translate TMDS outputs into LVDS?

Thanks,
Riz_aj

riz_aj said:
... Some of the cheaper graphics chipset that I have seen has only TMDS and analog outputs. Is there any way to translate TMDS outputs into LVDS?

Thanks,
Riz_aj
Certainly! Study, please, Philips SAA6713.
It's a highly integrated, dual-input LCD controller IC. It has analog VGA and DVI inputs and performs all needed signal processing.
Outputs: direct interface with the row and column drivers of LCD or digital RGB output (24/48 bits).
You can use that chip in conjunction with LVDS transmitter, for example DS90C385.

Appreciate very much your help. I have a few follow-up questions.

I have downloaded the SAA6713H datasheet. It certainly fits my need. I haven't read the datasheet in details but on the application page there is a mention of the need of having P89C664 or equivalent microcontroller to run this IC. Do you have any experience with this chipset? Is that your uncerstanding too?

On the LVDS transmitter, do you mean that output of SAA6713H goes into LVDS transmitter and then to TFT-LCD. Briefly,

graphics processor --> SAA6713H ---> LVDS Tx ---> TFT-LCD

riz_aj said:
Appreciate very much your help. I have a few follow-up questions.

I have downloaded the SAA6713H datasheet. It certainly fits my need. I haven't read the datasheet in details but on the application page there is a mention of the need of having P89C664 or equivalent microcontroller to run this IC. Do you have any experience with this chipset? Is that your uncerstanding too?

On the LVDS transmitter, do you mean that output of SAA6713H goes into LVDS transmitter and then to TFT-LCD. Briefly,

graphics processor --> SAA6713H ---> LVDS Tx ---> TFT-LCD
I'm sorry, I told you about SAA6713H because you mentioned LCD. SAA6713H can be directly connected to LCD row and column drivers. Of course, you need P89C664 or equivalent microcontroller for that chip - analog input requires PLL adjustment + some other ones.
If you need simple DVI input only and don't need scaling, OSD and other functions, you can use a simplier chip.
I used DVI receiver TFP201APZP from Texas Instruments. Your configuration will look like:
DVI Rx ---> LVDS Tx ---> TFT-LCD
I have designed device like that, so you can order... :)

Hi Phytex,

Unfortunately, I think you will have to use an external chip, since, as far as I know, Stratix IOs do not support the electrical signalling standard
neccessary for DVI. As far as I know, LVDS cannot be coerced to emulate
TMDS drivers. Silicon Image is your friend ...

Hi YUV,

Now my turn to get a bit confused - quite new at this. To clarify yr statement, this means LVDS Tx can convert/condition whatever signal coming DVI Rx into LVDS outputs required for LCD. If that is the case, the design should be simpler. SAA6713 with microcontroller surely makes thing a lot complicated. Glad to hear that you have designed device like this. If you don't mind, what is the application of your device? What purpose?

riz_aj said:
Hi YUV,
If you don't mind, what is the application of your device? What purpose?
Large modular screens (plasma, LED, etc).

Hi YUV,

My config is like this integrated TMDS TX --> DVI Rx ---> LVDS Tx --> TFT-LCD. Integrated TMDS Tx is on-chip (graphics processor). Translation of TMDS to LVDS is done LVDS Tx. This does make sense.

However, I am thinking.....

Can I use this config
integrated TMDS TX --> DVI Rx ---> TFT-LCD bypassing the LVDS Tx if my TFT-LCD can accept DVI inputs?

I am in the middle of sourcing graphics RAM. Do you have any idea of the price of 64Mbit and 128 Mbit DDRAM from Hynix, Samsung or anybody else?

Thanks

riz_aj said:
Hi YUV,
Can I use this config
integrated TMDS TX --> DVI Rx ---> TFT-LCD bypassing the LVDS Tx if my TFT-LCD can accept DVI inputs?
If TFT-LCD has DVI input, you can bypass all chain!
Your configuration will look like TMDS TX -->TFT-LCD. For example, LG-Philips LCD LC151X01 has 2 modifications: with DVI input and with LVDS one. Choose any you need.

riz_aj said:
I am in the middle of sourcing graphics RAM. Do you have any idea of the price of 64Mbit and 128 Mbit DDRAM from Hynix, Samsung or anybody else?
Visit a suppier site and try to find device you are interested.
**broken link removed**

Thanks YUV.

My TFT-LCD is already been decided thus doesn't have liberty to choose the one already with TMDS/DVI input. I couldn't tell whether it is LVDS or TMDS driven. FYI, the TFT-LCD part # is AA084VC02 from Mitsubishi. Could you tell it from signal config? If I am not wrong TMDS does not have CLKIN as in LVDS? Am I wrong? Thanks again.

Riz

riz_aj said:
TFT-LCD part # is AA084VC02 from Mitsubishi. Could you tell it from signal config?
Riz
Unfortunately I can't find AA084VC02 specification. If you send me, may be I will be able to say something.

riz_aj said:
If I am not wrong TMDS does not have CLKIN as in LVDS? Am I wrong?
Riz
LCDS has 28 data bits + clock. Of course, the data bits contain vertical, horizontal and "data enable" signals. You can find detailed info on www.national.com. The standards have names FPD(Flat Panel Display) and OpenLDI.
TMDS is technology from Silicon Image. It's very difficult to explane that technology in several words. DVI is a standard which uses TMDS technology. Of course, it has all necessary things, including clock input. :)

The main differences between LVDS and TMDS:
1) LVDS lines are DC-unbalanced.
2) LVDS serializes 7 data bits, TMDS - 10 bits (8 data bits + 2 coding bits).
It's important, because of serial frequency.
3) LVDS can perform a multipoint connection. TMDS makes point-to-point link only, its receiver IC contains the terminating resistors itself. In LVDS you have to make that termination using external resistors on the end of transmission line.
So, if you are going to share a video information, you should apply LVDS.

See you! :)

Thanks again for the long explanation. It is really helpful.

I don't have a complete softcopy of the TFT-LCD specs. Here is two pages of it scanned. It has interface pin connections and timing. Hope this helps.

It never mention LVDS or TMDS anywhere. See you soon. :)

I have carefully read the files that you sent. That LCD really doesn't use LVDS. It has 6-bits LVTTL input (3.3V logic).
Your task is simple conversion DVI to digital. The chain will be next:
DVI Tx --> DVI Rx --> LCD
Thus, your design will be quite simple. DVI receiver IC + monitor identification EEPROM + appropriate connectors. You can ommit two least significant data bits in each color. In general, nothing serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back