Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for dedicated CAN chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvind053

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to find a dedicated CAN chip which has atleast 8 analog/digital input channels (16 would be better) and can send out CAN messages. Some kind of timing mechanism like an on-chip timer/oscillator would also be desirable. I am NOT looking for a micro-controller which also has CAN but simply something which can be used stand-alone.

Are there any products which are affordable and meet these specs ? I am just getting started on integrating a bunch of controllers and sensors with CAN, so any help would be appreciated.

mcp2515 bit timing configuration

Look at Micr*chip line of CAN products, maybe something have what you requires.

mpc2515 and avr

hi
i am also working on CAN protocol. but i m just a beginner in this area.
i m working on MCP2515 Microchip's ics and development kit.

i can't understand what do u mean by 8 channels? r u talking about on bus channels. if so this IC is single channel.

if u find any thing relevant to this subject. please update me as well.

regards

mcp2550

jkarry, maybe I didnt state it clearly. The thing is I have a bunch of sensors which send out analog and digital signals. I need something which will take in all these signals, and send them out as packetized CAN messages (after appropriate filtering, A/D conversion etc.). A timing mechanism to timestamp these msgs would be useful as well. I looked at M**rochip products esp. MPC2510 (which is no longer recommended for dev.--> wonder why:?: )and MPC2515 which ure using. Can u tell what the MPC2515 has and comes with....and whats ur application ???[/quote]

can bus mcp2550

Hi,
You can refer chip T89C51CC01 from Atmel. It's suitable for you.

application note mcp2515 8052

Now i m in a better position to understand ur point.

MCP2515 has an SPI interface with host MCU (node controller. thats what u need to master derive can node). as far as ur application is concerned, in my point of view, u need a controller alongwith a CAN chip (even in a stand alone CAN networked application) in order to sample analog signals and then forward to MCP2515 (in my case) through serial interface of controller which is SPI standard for this chip.

i am using this chip with 80386EX microprocessor through SSIO interface (still in testing phase). also i m using MCP2515 Developer's Kit for verifying protocol execution. i need some help regarding that.
please read my topic under title of "MCP2515 development kit".

hope u will find this long reply a little bit usful to u.
regards

mcp2515

jkarry said:
Now i m in a better position to understand ur point.

MCP2515 has an SPI interface with host MCU (node controller. thats what u need to master derive can node). as far as ur application is concerned, in my point of view, u need a controller alongwith a CAN chip (even in a stand alone CAN networked application) in order to sample analog signals and then forward to MCP2515 (in my case) through serial interface of controller which is SPI standard for this chip.

For my appln. I really dont need an MCU, its overkiill. I just need something to get sensor analog data and packetize in CAN. So whats the bare minimum I need ? A CAN transceiver + controller ?.

Thats why I think the Atmel chip has too much .additional overhead for me.

can transceiver mcp2550

dear "arvind053"

all u need to do in MCP2515 is to write configuration of a node first (once) and then to write transmt buffers(any time u need). now to go ON-BUS, u still need tranceiver(MCP2550 with CAN controller) on CAN Bus side.

if u can have any thing better to get interfaced with CAN other then SPI so that ur data from ADC to CAN could pass direcly, it will be something new for atleast me.

why u dont want to use an MCU (PIC or 89c51 based etc) for this?

regards

mcp2550

You can refer chip T89C51CC01 from Atmel. It's suitable for you.

I also recomand you this popular chip (8052 based)

It has TTC (time trighered comunication) implemented in hardware!!

If you need to extend any chip capabilities to say, 16 ADC's you can use an 16:1 analog multiplexer and select each chanell with only 4 IO pins from uC!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back