Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for circuit that can sense liquid levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramho100

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
could anybody help me by providing a ckt to sense any liquid(may be non conductive) level using change in resistance value(thru a float)
Thanks

Re: Circuit help

ramho100 said:
Hi,
could anybody help me by providing a ckt to sense any liquid(may be non conductive) level using change in resistance value(thru a float)
Thanks
Technically, if the liquid is not conductive then you can not use the method with resistance change. Quite logical, isn't it?

Level of conductive liquid can be measured by measuring resistance between two electrodes. Level of nonconductive liquid can be measured by measuring capacitance between two electrodes. Ultrasonic distance measuring devices can be used on both types.

Hi,
Looks there is a mistake in presenting/understanding the problem. I had made a mention of float wherein i use reed contacts, as the float moves, it either keeps the contact open or close to its previous state and thus u can get diffarent resistive value.
That is specifically mentioned about the non conductivity of the liquid used. I can fairly sense the level, but how to measure it is my question

Thanks

I suppose you are using the float
as a mean to turn the variable resistor.

If you can already sense the resistance,
you can power up the variable resistance,
and obtain the varying voltage.
This voltage can be a mean of indicator
to indicate the liquid level.

If you need to obtain a digital output,
you can use a ADC (analog to digital converter),
so that the information can be process by a computer.
Else you can interface the varying voltage to a circuit
which you might want to display directly.

www.siongboon.com

ramho100

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I was expecting a kind of reply like interfacing circuit for the TI chip xtr106/xtr117, these chips are basically used to transmit value for a longer distance in 4-20mA loop. My worry is how give input to this IC thru varying resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back