Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for battery powered solution for my project

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFly

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Battery Powered Solution

Hi,
I am working in a project that needs battery backup for the power supply subsystem. Since my battery knowledge is almost NULL, I appreciate any feedback.
I am assuming the battery related part will include a rechargable battery, charger and a low voltage detector.

Re: Battery Powered Solution

Use the MAX712 switching mode for charging and the MAX710 for 5V buck/boost

Before you start building Battery Charger + Power Supply, have a look at small computer UPS which has all you need.
Economically speaking, this is probably cheaper option..

I am looking for a power supply with a small footprint. A small UPS won't work.

My system has one external DC (7-12V) voltage supply. I want to have an internal battery backup to be able to run even if the external power supply is removed. I wantthe external power supply to charge the battery when it is connected to my small system.

I appreciate any input.

To select components and the size of a battery could you tell us what is the current requirement of your circuit?
The 7-12V voltage: how is it converted and is there on-board regulator?

To select components and the size of a battery could you tell us what is the current requirement of your circuit?
The 7-12V voltage: how is it converted and is there on-board regulator?

The system has 2 linear LDO regulators (5v and 3.3v). The overal current rating of the system when battery powered should be 500mA.

I appreciate your help.

I think the MAX712 is a good option for the battery charging circuit. It lets you supply the load while you charge the battery. I am using it in a design after a long search about battery chargers.
With respect to the LDO, it depends on the load you have. if you have low power analog board, I would use a charge pump to be able to power from the 2 batteries NiMH up to 2V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back