Not open for further replies.

D_A_V_E

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I am looking for a "small" analog or digital sensor that can measure the viscosity of liquids. Does anyone have some ideas or link(s) where to buy them.

thanks guys for you help

D

Re: viscosity sensor

D_A_V_E -

I hope you're ready to spend a lot of money to buy a sensor. The ones described in **broken link removed**
cost between $7KUSD and $10KUSD. You can buy a used Viscosimeter for a lot less than that.

You could also use a rotary viscosity sensor, but they aren't small or cheap ( **broken link removed** ).

Depending on what exactly you are trying to do, you can make a viscosimeter by drilling a calibrated hole in the bottom of a cup, and timing the fluid as it drains from the cup. Painters use a tool like that for checking the viscosity of paint before using a paint sprayer. Some labs also use that method for checking to make sure a fluid is within a certain viscosity specification.

College lab students have constructed their own rotary viscosimeters by using a paddlewheel on the shaft of a DC motor and measuring the voltage generated by the motor as the fluid rotates the paddlewheel over a measured time period. Look around on the Internet, and you'll probably find their lab reports describing how it was done.

viscosity sensor

As said, there is definitely no cheap, ready to use sensor. Depending on the application, particularly the intended viscosity range, simple solutions may me possible. Reviewing the existig measurement techniques (House_cat listed some) and defined standards helps to learn the state of the art. You can either try to find a template or design the sensor on your own from the scratch (my preferred method usually).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…