Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a nominal 36vdc to nominal 12vdc regulator/supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttaphong191

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been searching for a nominal 36vdc to nominal 12vdc regulator/supply.

Specifics: I have a 36 volt golf cart and would like to add one headlight (about 10 amps) and a decent car stereo. Yes, its possible to simply tap two of the 6 volt (6 in total) battries but that presents wiring issues and uneven use of the batteries.
Hoping someone can point me to an off the shelf supply or good plans to build it myself

Re: Power supply help

As your supply come from batteries you should consider switching step-down dc-dc converter ..
This method is quite efficient (≈80%), so you won't lose energy as heat as you would had you use linear step-down voltage regulators ..

Some hobby shop offer off-the-shelf 24-28V-to-13.8V dc-dc converters, which, with some minor modifications can be used with 36V input voltage ..

If you feel comfortable with basic electonic cmponents such as trasistors, resistors, caps or opamps, you may consider building a step-down converter by yourself ..
Here is an example:
**broken link removed**
(Just remove the mains transformer form the circuit)

One other thing worth consideration is that insead of one 'big' 20-25A converter you use two 10A units, one for the head light and one for the rest ..

Regards,
IanP

Re: Power supply help

Parts List:

Center-tapped transformer 24VAC, 3A
Bridge Rectifier
LM317, adjustable regulator
LM337, adjustable regulator
1uF/40V, electrolytic capacitor x 2
220 ohm, resistor x 2
4.7k ohm, resistor
3k ohm , potentiometer x 2