Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a neat way to fasten four bjts to a case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plecto

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I'm looking for an easy and tidy way to mount four bjt's to a metal enclosure. The intuitive way is to drill a hole through the case for each bjt, add a mica washer and screw each bjt to the casing. This is what I've done in the past, but it's time consuming and I don't find it very neat. A neat way to do it would be to have a piece of metal with four clip mechanism on it. The plate (hopefully electrically insulated to avoid the mica washers) could be glued or perhaps screwed with two screws to the case and the bjts can easily be clipped in and out. Here's an example of the clip mechanism I'm talking about:

WV-T220-101E.jpg

Anyone know of any other neat solutions?

Another option is thermal pads or thermal tape - it's basically sticky tape that's sticky on both sides, conducts heat well, and is an electrical insulator.

Links:
**broken link removed**
http://za.rs-online.com/web/p/heatsink-mounting-accessories/4774856/

p.s. I'm not specifically recommending that brand, it's just the first one I found with a quick search.

Those thermal pads looks ideal, seems like a very easy solution. One thing that worries me is if the IC were to come lose after some time, that would lead to thermal runaway very quickly unless I include some circuitry that monitors the temperature. How well do these pads stick exactly? Can I trust them?

About the clips, I found this: **broken link removed**. I'm not sure if that particular one fits TO-220 packages though, but it shows what I'm looking for. I have no idea what these are called though, I can't find them on mouser.

These tapes are not suitable to dissipate high gradient heat from power transistors, due its thermal conductivity is not as low as avaliable on heatsinc metalic plates. Regarding clips, I don´t like too much, and prefer to just screw the device, due allow better compression.

+++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back