Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a cheap solution for micro-VGA adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Micro-VGA Adapter

Well i started a similar project two months ago,and planned to use a spartan3 chip for that .But is just vga and up to 256 colors .I'm curious to know if they implemented this thing as an asic .or a commun fpga or even a micro .but if you need the sources of the design that i started .I'm probably 75% done .I stopped the project ,Because my product was too costly in small quatities for such poor performance( ineeded to display photos). and using a more sofisticated FPGA sends the cost over the roof compaired with the price of complete PCs
There was perfect chip for this application .It was the E5 family of TRSICEND .
but triscend went belly up .I still have 100 pieces but not enough for the product i was planning .But i'm still interested .so if you know what product they have used for their design i'd like to know .
maybe a 50 or 100 mhz SILABS microcontroller could handle this requirements?

one more thing i don't agree on calling this vga because is only vga if you have 256 colors otherwise the color mapping is to you to define !

Do you have a cost estimation about your design? (unit price in 100 production)
I mean, just the hardware cost excluding IP

to do a nice design i wanted to use a VIRTEXII pro .because it has a CPU and fast I/O channels . The thing with xilinx is that for 100 pieces their part is about $110 so to put together a complete design it would be $175 .So that's what i mean i we see the value of an ITX board ,Some are now as low as $180 and these are comple PC architectures .I imagine that in quantities the prieces are very much lower . Embedded architecures can be very pricy and cannot compete with a high volume product .
There could be another solution and is to use a spartan3 .these are supposed to be around $35 . then the cost of a memory and the board and assemply may be can be done in 100 pieces for just under $80 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back