Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronic Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Register Log in

load for solar charge controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

syheee

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone!

im new here and also beginner for hardware design.
I want to take the results for my mppt solar charge controller. If i do not want a battery as my load therefore what load can i use?
This is because my objective is to determine the mppt only and the charging battery is not included in controller. So what should i connect after the DC-DC converter (boost). my output power will be 75W, and my Voc is 21V and Isc of my solar panel is 4.5A.

Thank you!!

BradtheRad

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
You can try various resistor values.

If your panel is rated 12V nominal, then a 3 ohm load will draw 4A. The resistor will need to dissipate 48W (rough estimate).

Results are unpredictable since the mppt may boost voltage in an effort to maximize current.

So if your load is 10 ohms, it may try to boost the output voltage to 40V or so. Its operating limits may or may not permit this.

You may need a smoothing capacitor. Try 1000 uF for a start.

nandhu015

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Search for "Electronic dummy load" with which you can vary the current through the load.

picgak

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone!

im new here and also beginner for hardware design.
I want to take the results for my mppt solar charge controller. If i do not want a battery as my load therefore what load can i use?
This is because my objective is to determine the mppt only and the charging battery is not included in controller. So what should i connect after the DC-DC converter (boost).
Hi,
It depends on the circuit you designed if your circuit automatically senses the output battery for charging (check for 12v battery presence)you have to use a battery only for testing, if there is no such sense cicuit you can use a capacitor as the load along with a parallel resistor to sink the current
regards ani

tpetar

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor