Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM337 drop in replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

conmanxx

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

We use the LM337EMP/NOPB to provide a negative supply line for an analog circuit.
This is the SMT SOT23 version.
Used to produce a -12V from a -15V supply.

Am finding them very difficult to source, those who do have them are charging crazy prices.

Is there a drop in replacement?
Or is there something that'll fit the design with very little mods

Thank you.

Yes, sorry should be SOT-223.

LM337IMP/NOPB or LM337EMP/NOPB doesn't matter too much, both are very difficult to source

Simple voltage regulator. Load connects to 0V ground.
Transistor is PNP type because a negative supply is involved.
Adjust resistor value to suit maximum expected current load.

Or, is your 15v supply stable and unchanging? Then you might make do with dropping 3V via 5 series diodes.

negative 12V to load 8 ohm (zener PNP) supply -15v.png

Or, is your 15v supply stable and unchanging? Then you might make do with dropping 3V via 5 series diodes.

View attachment 178073
1) Not a drop-in replacement.
2) Not very little mods.

Hi,

a 79L12 in SOT-89 comes into my mind. But also not compatible. No idea about availability and price.

Klaus

C

View attachment 178073
Curiosity got the best of me, looked at regulation and power :

1660993172176.png

Regards, Dana.

Hi,

what worries me: is the ridiculous small diode current in the nanoamperes range.

usully zener diodes don´t work good in this range. Maybe there fore the poor voltage regulation.

It would be helpful if the OP gives
* expected input voltage range
* expected output current range
* expected output voltage range

Klaus

Very odd as you point out, not until PNP approaches sat, where beta falls off a cliff,
does Iz pickup.

1660999704320.png

Regards, Dana.

Hi,

I had a look at the 1N4744 datasheet. It says it´s knee voltage is 15V.
And due to the voltage drop on R2 (caused by base current) the zener will never see 15V ... thus never will show significant current.

Brad used a 12.7V zener.

Klaus

Here is 13V Zener confirms your observation.

1661033536731.png

As a regulator for 10% load change not too bad. Of course thats not T and V considered.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

it's easy enough to use a Darlington and set the zener current to 1mA, and use a 1mA ( rated Vz ) type zener, 5% tolerance will be fine .... at absolute no load the voltage will creep up a bit ( ~ 1V ) but most systems can handle that sort of thing.
--- Updated ---

We assume the load will be in the 0 - 75mA region as the original part was SOT-223 which has dissipation limitations from 15 to 12 V, i.e. 3W / amp or 3mW / mA, so 50mA load => 150mW dissiaption, which is getting up there for a 1" square pad on a 1 Oz board ....

Status
Not open for further replies.