Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lithium batteries need cell balancing for discharge in series at 1C?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
Is this rechargeable lithium battery OK for putting in series with two others and putting on constant current draw of 650mAh for one hour without cell equalisation circuitry being needed for the cells?

CR-V3 Lithium Battery….
**broken link removed**

Also, do you know if CR-V3 is the same size as AA?

Also, what is the next size lithium up??
Why is it so hard to find these kind of rechargeable lithium batteries on the web?

Why will you buy a no-name-brand battery that does not even have a datasheet??
The manufacturer called Energizer and others say their CRV3 battery is 3V (not 3.7V) and is NOT rechargeable! It has two 1.5V AA lithium cells side-by-side with terminals at one end. Some Oriental ones are 3.7V rechargeable.
A 16850 Lithium rechargeable battery cell is a little larger than AA and is commonly used in laptops, DVD players and Vapes.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
It has two 1.5V AA lithium cells side-by-side with terminals at one end..

If it is 1.5V, then it is very unlikely to be a lithium cell.

They are in different size because you may not use them in place of AA cells by mistake. 16850 is the most common size for the lithium cells. Most come with electronics that prevent overcharging and rapid discharge.

T

Learn about CR-V3 form factor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CR-V3_battery

Rechargeable CR-V3 are available, according to voltage and form factor, they are apparently build from parallel connected Li-Ion cells.

As for the initial question, discharge without balancing should be permitted if you guarantee that no battery voltage drops below a discharge voltage of e.g. 2.5 V. Might result in a slightly lower utilization of battery capacity.

T

Thanks, suppose i have the three lithiums in series and discharge them for 1 hour with a pulsed discharge current that is 650mA (1C) for 900ms, then no current for 100ms, then this duty cycle repeated for one hour....does this kind of low frequency current pulsing adversely affect lithium batteries like this?

If it is 1.5V, then it is very unlikely to be a lithium cell.
Energizer has been making disposable Lithium 1.5V cells for years. They last for a long time, have a high capacity and hold up the voltage well as they discharge. But they are expensive.

Attachments

• Energizer AA lithium disposable.png
    Energizer AA lithium disposable.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Energizer AAA Lithium disposable.png
    Energizer AAA Lithium disposable.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Energizer CRV3 disposable.png
    Energizer CRV3 disposable.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 101

T

Energizer has been making disposable Lithium 1.5V cells for years. They last for a long time, have a high capacity and hold up the voltage well as they discharge. But they are expensive.

I knew that Li-S batteries are there but I did not know that they are commercially available. They are originally related to Na-S batteries but Na is replaced with Li and S is replaced with FeS2 (sulphide). Replacing S with S(-2) reduces the voltage and the Fe(II) has little or no role (you can replace with Cu or Pb). I have not seen the 1.5V Li cell by Energizer before but then I have not seen many things. Most common are the Li ion or polymer or basically Li-MnO2 (I believe Li-Fe-Phosphate is the most common).

In one conference in China, I saw about 500 posters on electrochemical systems for Li cells. There appears to be lots of interest and potential. When I was younger, Na-S rechargeable batteries were called the future but then ...

Status
Not open for further replies.