Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

List of microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayanthyk192

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

i wanted to know the names/numbers of microcontrollers which can be programmed using RxTx without an extra bootloader or MCs which can communicate serially with simple circuits.please give a link or specify the numbers.

thank you.

what is the meaning of extra bootloader...
If you need very simple controllers then refer below

AT89S series
P89c / V / LV support serial programming.
Other controllers are AVR, ATMEGA. PIC and 32 bit controllers (LPC series, ST, etc)

best is 89V51RD2 easily availiable and cheap..
you get board also
this is best for you..
**broken link removed**

Hi,

i wanted to know the names/numbers of microcontrollers which can be programmed using RxTx without an extra bootloader or MCs which can communicate serially with simple circuits.please give a link or specify the numbers.

thank you.

In fact, using a bootloader you can program a microcontroller using only the Rx/Tx signals (plus GND) from a serial (RS232) interface. But no microcontroller have an in-system programming scheme using only the Rx/Tx lines. ISP is done via a SPI interface and uses the MISO, MOSI,SCK, GND and RESET signals (plus optional Vcc), this means 4 signals plus GND. Programmers that work through the serial interface need to have strict controll over the CTS (Clear to Send) and RTS (Request to Send) signals to complete the set of signals. Microcontrollers that conform to this programming scheme are easy to find. Almost all PICs, AVRs and so... Take a look at PonyProg2000 - Download page
Regards

89v51RD2 doesnot require any CTS,RTS or any extra MCU bootloader is inside the chip.. so you dont have to connected anything extra.. only max232 is required so that chip can be connected to PC....

DS89C452 from maxim, ADCU0814 (ANALOG DEVICE), Uc from freescale ...

89v51RD2 doesnot require any CTS,RTS or any extra MCU bootloader is inside the chip.. so you dont have to connected anything extra.. only max232 is required so that chip can be connected to PC....

As I´ve said, using a bootloader you don´t need extra signals. It doesn´t matter if it was you or the manufacturer who designed the bootloader.

what is the meaning of extra bootloader...
If you need very simple controllers then refer below

i was first using P89V51RD2 chip along with the board i purchased( see file attached).when i connected this to the com port,the chip was detected using flash magic burner.then i wanted to know more about AVR controllers so i bought a board for avr MCs and i took an atmega 32 IC.i did the same process as above but the chip was not detected with any software that i tried(i used avr studio,pony prog,avr dude mainly).so i took it back to the shop where i learnt that a bootloader must be placed for the IC to communicate with the PC.i got the boot loader burned and then i used it.this was what i meant by 'extra'.please tell me if i'm wrong.

i want to know if 89S51 and 52 can be used with the board that i'm using for P89V51RD2.please give me links to find softwares to detect it with this board,if it can be done.

thank you.

Attachments

• Development Board.pdf
    212.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Manual.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 187
Last edited:

[/COLOR]
In fact, using a bootloader you can program a microcontroller using only the Rx/Tx signals (plus GND) from a serial (RS232) interface. But no microcontroller have an in-system programming scheme using only the Rx/Tx lines. ISP is done via a SPI interface and uses the MISO, MOSI,SCK, GND and RESET signals (plus optional Vcc), this means 4 signals plus GND. Programmers that work through the serial interface need to have strict controll over the CTS (Clear to Send) and RTS (Request to Send) signals to complete the set of signals. Microcontrollers that conform to this programming scheme are easy to find. Almost all PICs, AVRs and so... Take a look at PonyProg2000 - Download page
Regards

thank you,i thought the P89V51RD2 didn't have a bootloader and did something else to communicate.now i understand that the bootloader is like a BIOS to a computer.it starts communication with the cdrom or hdd(here the computer)and then the boot takes place.please correct if i'm wrong.

Last edited:

[/COLOR]

thank you,i thought the P89V51RD2 didn't have a bootloader and did something else to communicate.now i understand that the bootloader is like a BIOS to a computer.it starts communication with the cdrom or hdd(here the computer)and then the boot takes place.please correct if i'm wrong.

Your concept is right. The bootloader is just a piece of FW placed at the beginning of the flash memory. It uses special instructions (your microcontroller should have) to write the received object program to the flash. The P89V51RD2 has an internal bootloader called IAP (In-Application Programmable).
"There are two internal flash memory blocks in the device. Block 0 has 64 kbytes and contains the user’s code. Block 1 contains the Philips-provided ISP/IAP routines and may be enabled such that it overlays the first 8 kbytes of the user code memory....
Access to the IAP routines may be enabled by clearing the BSEL bit in the FCF
register. When the microcontroller programs its own Flash memory, all of the low level details are handled by code that is contained in a Boot block that is separate from the user Flash memory."

Apart from this, if you have a serial interface and a very simple ISP programmer you can build at home, you can program almost any AVR or PIC. If you are interested in the AVRs I can help you finding a good ANSI C compiler.
Regards

Apart from this, if you have a serial interface and a very simple ISP programmer you can build at home, you can program almost any AVR or PIC. If you are interested in the AVRs I can help you finding a good ANSI C compiler.
Regards

thank you.but i already have the AVR studio,which i'm using to learn.i would like to know if the atmega32 can be detected by this citcuit and pony prog automatically and not using seperate boot loaders.AVR Programmer

thank you.

thank you.but i already have the AVR studio,which i'm using to learn.i would like to know if the atmega32 can be detected by this citcuit and pony prog automatically and not using seperate boot loaders.AVR Programmer

thank you.

I think it should work but I don´t use this circuit. However, it was developed to be used with Ponyprog and, for sure, it detects almost all AVRs and PICs. Here you´ll find other adaptors to be used with different packages (all detected by Ponyprog)... SI Prog schematics . You can also use the parallel port (printer) to program your cpu. If you consider the possibility of using a C compiler, there are better choices than AVR Studio.
Regards.

If you consider the possibility of using a C compiler, there are better choices than AVR Studio.
Regards.
i have avrdude snd pony prog also,but if there are better ones,i would like to have it.please give links.thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.