Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lipo battery charge under load

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendonshaw

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a small electronics data logger board which I want to run remotely and plan to use a RC car Lipo battery pack. There are loads of small package batteries and the ideal for by project.

I can buy a charger, but there might be a need to run the electronics and the batteries while on charger. I plan to use a simple 7805 or dc-dc converter, to get the right voltage.

My question is there any problems with the above circuit plan? My concern not getting correct charge as there is a load drawing current from the battery while on charge.

Many RC cars use a "7.2V" Ni-Cad battery that is about 8.4V when fully charged and it drops to about 6.6V when the load should be disconnected.
Will the 5V from a 7805 regulator be used for powering the data logger?
The charging circuit will probably over-charge the battery when the data logger is running because it will not be able to detect the low charging current when the battery is fully charged.

Thanks for the quick response, the 7805 will regulate the battery voltage down to 5v.

I have to think if it's possible to isolate the battery charger from the current load, to allow the battery to be charged which the data logger is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back