Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux Programming Language and Tool Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusemo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello there,
I want to write programs in linux environment, but I am lazzy so I want to somethings very handy.
In Windows word we can use Visual C# with dotnet framework which is very easy to create visual programs.
Is there any language and tools to create visual programs in linux(debian)?, thank you all.

Python with the QT toolkit...

The python bindings for QT are exellent, but also take a look at the QT Quick stuff, basically javascript hooked into QT, works rather well.

If C++ is your thing, then QtCreator is kind of cool as an IDE, but generally Linux types tend to forgo IDEs in favour of a text editor and a make file.

Regards, Dan.

Reactions: tusemo

tusemo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Does QT has gui interface like Visual C#?
And is QT is intellisense?

Does QT has gui interface like Visual C#?
And is QT is intellisense?

Maybe you already solved this question, but I say yes for both questions:
1. Qt with QtCreator IDE has gui interface designer (QtDesigner), either for Qt Widget (C++) or Qt Quick (QML);
2. QtCreator IDE is intellisense.

Reactions: tusemo

tusemo

In fact it's important to point that Linux doesn't has an official/standard language like Microsoft C# and .NET framework nor a standard graphic user interface. It works with every language since your linux distro has its compiler, although you can install any other you want either.

Linux only has standard libraries for languages like C as the interface between your software and specific system functions and features.

yeath,there are many official language that you can use in linux.such as c,c++,python,
and GUI library supplied by QT.this is my recommendation.

python is portable. its mean you can write your program in windows and then use that program on any other operating system.

you can use wxwidget with wxFormbuilder, or CodeBlocks taht implements an its own windows builder.
Good is FLTK because is very light an simple, with its Fluid interface you can build the Gui in little time.
Note that both are cross platform, perhaps wxwidget is more developed.

as everyone else said. if you want to write the code fast, and keep it simple (and sometimes, portable) then go python. You will find that it already has libraries for everything you want to do. EVERY other language has been ported to linux. Even C# works in linux using "Mono-project" https://www.mono-project.com/

I'm a python fan, so I can't give you a non-biased response. In python you will find simple and very advanced libraries too, from games development to very advanced mathematics tools, like sage-math (which replaces Mathematica, Matlab, etc etc)

Have fun

Reactions: HamGuy

HamGuy

QT creator with C, C++ langauge support for desktop as well as embedded is best to use on Linux

QT = QuickTime
Qt = Qt Crossplatform framework

Go for Qt with QtCreator. It is easy to use. No other framework has a so good documentation, so many tutorials and examples as Qt has.
You can write your GUI application almost without any C++. Only with Qml and Javascript.
But be aware about the performance when you writing your application in Qml/Javascript only.

There are two designers within the QtCreator. One for QWidget based applications and one for Qml based applications.
I'm not a fan of those designers because I'm much faster in writing the GUI directly.

About the Mono project. No it doesn't work properly. If you take an application written with .Net and then you try to run it under Mono you will always have to spend time to fix certain incompatible.

At the moment Qt is one of the best cross platform libraries out there.
You can develop for desktop, embedded and mobile on OS X, Windows and Linux.

Cheers
Juergen

Last edited:

You can use Lazarus. It's ide for free pascal language and cross platform. It's look like delphi.

Status
Not open for further replies.