Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux Linux ! Linux everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunragavan

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Guys i have question guys.. i have tried to install RHEL 3 and Redhat 9.. but was kinda unsucessful everytime.. damn am jes a newbie in linux! i had problems such as hangining coz of improper hardware soundcard selection.

What i want to know is which version of Linux.. ment does Suse and mandrake support eda tools?

this is wot i want to know..

anyone who can give their valuable sugesstion@

with regards,

arunragavan said:
Guys i have question guys.. i have tried to install RHEL 3 and Redhat 9.. but was kinda unsucessful everytime.. damn am jes a newbie in linux! i had problems such as hangining coz of improper hardware soundcard selection.

What i want to know is which version of Linux.. ment does Suse and mandrake support eda tools?

this is wot i want to know..

anyone who can give their valuable sugesstion@

with regards,
Linux just a kernel ... and Suse and mandrake and Redhat is distribution another word to say is ... is a way to pakage the kernel with application.

So all can support the Eda tools ... but must look at GlibC and other library support.

Mandrake9.1 is a good choose!

To instal linux you may need to partition your hardware.Follow the instructions which comes during installation.

My best distro is RED HAT

you can learn how to work in linux without installation with one of the live cds,
i really like Knoppix,
download it and burn as ISO,
it will boot linux without the install proccess.

What system you got is it a latest one or old one please gives the system details for suggestions :)

a few suggestions :

supposing that all EDA tools, ported to x86 linux, DO work (with some caution, as mentioned above, with glibc, etc, etc.) :

choose a very simpel sound card - like creative AWE32/64 (if you have still have a free ISA slot) or PCI-128.

choose a standard graphic card - like nVidia TNT or similer ( GForce and above will need some kernel module compilation, wich may be complicated, if you dont know the tricks.)

choose a standard NIC - like RTL 8139 or 3COM's 90x series.

choose a simple optical PS/2 mouse.

perhaps, there is nothing new i have written here, but, just some guidlines.
you can spend as much time as you want with re-building the kernel for new soundcard / vga-card / usb-mouse etc.
it's complicated and time consuming.
if you want to build a dedicated linux box, i would strongly recommend you to use as much standard hardware as possible.
it will make life much easier.

regards

is it easy to configure linux with built-in sound and VGA. actually i have an Intel D815EEA2 which has both sound and VGA built in to it. is it going to be difficult for me to switch over to linux??

I have recently loaded red*hat Linux 9 on the 815 it has detected all the peripherals and worked perfectly in*tel most of the chipsets are supported by Linux kernel only it gives problems on SI*S chipset as the don’t support Linux directly (i have sis 630 vga and sound works but AGP hardware acceleration is not much there)

I like the FEDORA distrobution

for newbies and taking the rating in consideration (www.distrowatch.com)

UBUNTU is really rocking now a days

so in my terms try

UBUNTU LINUX

For newbies Mandrake and UBUNTU are gr8 , no pain to install and use programs, but if u r really a computer systems guy curiious of every thing happenning in ur comp. try Debian, gentoo, Slackware ( warning as wll for these distros)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back