Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux Kernel Building and Testing in PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

vigneshwara_s

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am new to Linux Kernel and Can anyone help me where to find a simple linux kernel source code and How to compile and test it in a PC by booting from CD or Pendrive ?..

Can anyone Help with the available tutorials links, etc?.

Thanks in Advance,:)

Regards,
S.Vigneshwaran

Why would you require a kernel build, especially if your new to linux?

Just get a linux distro which has a gui installed by default, Fedora, Ubuntu, and learn how to use it before screwing around with the kernel.

Tutorials about stuff is all over google, just search what you want to achieve.

I am new to Linux Kernel and Can anyone help me where to find a simple linux kernel source code and How to compile and test it in a PC by booting from CD or Pendrive ?..

Can anyone Help with the available tutorials links, etc?.

There are numerous tutorials available detailing the step to configure and compile a Linux kernel. If you wish to customize a Linux kernel from a particular Linux distro check the distro site.

If you want to build a kernel from scratch, the following will get you started:

How to compile Linux kernel - Tutorial

Compile your own kernel – Tutorial

There are several methods to formatting and configuring a flash drive to boot Linux, however the easiest method is to employ one of the freely available utilities:

Create a Bootable Linux Flash Drive in Three Easy Steps

Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick

There are also several very good texts available on the subject of Linux kernel development, search on Amazon.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.