Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Light and heavy holes and e-k diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayukh

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
heavy holes

what are heavy and light holes???? and what's crystal momentum???? and can sumone tell me this.... is it possible to have an an e-k diag where E=0 when k=0? ok now i've seen that diag....now E's K.E,ok?? But then in some other diags,they show that when k=0,E=Ec(Energy at the c.b edge). But then THIS 'E' cannot be K.E...it has to be K.E+P.E..by energy conservation!! Sumone,plz help!!!!:cry:[/b][/i]

ek diagram heavy

Heavy and light holes (also - holes in so-called split-off band) are just different types of holes (like different types of atoms or molecules occupying the same volume). Concentration of heavy holes is much higher than that of light holes, due to their larger mass and thus density of states.

The energy-wavevector (E-k) relationship is shows the dependence of total energy (i.e. kinetic plus potential energy) on the wavevector. Wavevector k is defined as particle (electron, hole,...) momentum divided by Planck's constant (hbar). Since the absolute value of the potential energy is unimportant, you can change the scale so that E=0 at k=0.

Status
Not open for further replies.