[SOLVED] LF transformer as a PFC inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might lose the warranty if I'll try to disassembly the generator and I'm affraid that motor/alternator assembly has a common body (shaft) anyway.

Beside, I might need the 230V output for various emergency tasks.

Although I agree that a PFC would is the best solution, a conventional rectifier with large DC choke would also avoid the unwanted peak currents and achieve a power factor of about 0.85.

I don't know how to design such an inductor. Do I have to use a laminated iron transformer (EI) core with an air gap and wind up a sigle big coil?

And how to design the air gap? By building two separate blocks ("E"s and "I"s) and by inserting a space between the two blocks (as with ferrite cores) or should I mount those laminates interleaved and put a space between every individual "E" and "I" (hard labour)?

Interleaved mounting gives a too small effective air gap.

The design process is explained in text books and internet resources. It's basically the same as for ferrite inductors with air gap.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ok, I'll try to disassembly one of my spare transformers to build such a choke inductor. I might use only the "E" laminates to get an EE core (much easier to align the two E cores inside the bobbin and much more winding/cooling space available).

Status
Not open for further replies.