Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] LF transformer as a PFC inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might lose the warranty if I'll try to disassembly the generator and I'm affraid that motor/alternator assembly has a common body (shaft) anyway.

Beside, I might need the 230V output for various emergency tasks.

Although I agree that a PFC would is the best solution, a conventional rectifier with large DC choke would also avoid the unwanted peak currents and achieve a power factor of about 0.85.

I don't know how to design such an inductor. Do I have to use a laminated iron transformer (EI) core with an air gap and wind up a sigle big coil?

And how to design the air gap? By building two separate blocks ("E"s and "I"s) and by inserting a space between the two blocks (as with ferrite cores) or should I mount those laminates interleaved and put a space between every individual "E" and "I" (hard labour)?

Interleaved mounting gives a too small effective air gap.

The design process is explained in text books and internet resources. It's basically the same as for ferrite inductors with air gap.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ok, I'll try to disassembly one of my spare transformers to build such a choke inductor. I might use only the "E" laminates to get an EE core (much easier to align the two E cores inside the bobbin and much more winding/cooling space available).

Status
Not open for further replies.