Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED lighting interfering with OTA TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ge

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I do not know if this is the correct forum to ask this question....

I have a brother a distance away with LED lighting in his travel trailer. The LED lighting is interfering with Over the Air TV reception. He does not have any test equipment or an AM radio. The LEDs are 12v run off of a AC/DC converter. The tv is 110v.

I've read on LED sales sites that "cheap" LEDs can cause switching noise. Does anyone know this to be true.
I don't trust everything I read on internet, lol.
Thanks in advance.

LEDs themselves don't cause interference but the power unit (AC/DC converter) certainly can. In theory they are tested and certified not to cause interference but in reality, many of the products on the market are designed down to a price instead up up to a standard.

I would suggest the first thing to try is a filtered mains plug on the power unit, they claim to stop interference from the power lines getting into equipment but they work equally well at stopping it getting out.

Brian.

Appreciate the reply Brian.
I had brother put torioids on power lines. Is that what you are thinking when you say "filter main plug"? I'm uncertain where he got the toroids.

Status
Not open for further replies.