Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Learning from photos of microwave circuits using Sonnet Lite and Qucs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator3

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Here is one nice approach i use when finding interesting microstrip circuit on the internet (papers, websites, etc.):

1. Find element with known size on the photo
it can be capacitor, 50 Ohm line width (if substrate Er and thickness is known) or something else

2. Scale photo in such way, that pixel size would represent 0.1mm. For example, 1000x1000 pixels photo will represent area of 100x100 mm.

3. Measure microstrip, stub sizes, etc. It is easy, because just cutting them from the photo will give their's pixel size. And each pixel represent 0.1mm length.

4. Now put all that elements into simulator (Sonnet Lite, Qucs, etc.).

Here is finger filter measured this way and put in Sonnet Lite and Qucs:
s53mv-2800mhz.png
it is from s53mv's website (http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53mv/spectana/vco.html)

Also i put S-parameters of transistor, just was curious if phase would be around zero.
Using this approach i learned about LNAs and some practical matching with stubs.

p.s. Also if photos made with some angle, it can be skewed to be rectangular. And even more advanced approach - do reverse perspective projection to get even more precise results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back