Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lead Acid battery using a boost converter is possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sink0

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Lead Acid battery charger using a boost converter is possible?

Hi would like to know if i will have any problem to charge a 12V lead acid battery using a boost converter (LT1618 as example) from USB 5V?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Reactions: Sink0

Sink0

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
No... not a big one. Just a small 12V one. But it will be a secondary power supply to the system if the USB get disconnected so, at normal operation it will just deliver few miliampers. But about the charging. I am afraid the switching circuit can damge the USB or do not charge the battery correctly. And yes.. probably i ill tune the boost to 14V. But will that work?

Thank you!!

in some new computers there is a current limiter inbuilt with usb, but some don't. so better not connect high current applications to USB or you have to include a current limit circuit in your application, the maxim usb current is around 1A so i dont think it is ok for led acid battery( around 250-300ma at charging volt)

Actually the maximum USB current with out enumeration is 100mA - this is the largest current that can be drawn from a USB hub (according to the standard). BUT a USB hub also *must* be able to provide a minimum of 500mA regardless of the circumstances. So this means that you can draw up to 500mA from a port with out enumeration provided you are not sharing the hub with any other devices. In the case of a USB port on a computer's motherboard, each port *is* a root hub, so there are no worries with driving a 500mA load.

The LT1618 has an option for total current limiting - this is the ISP and ISN lines on either side of the sense resistor (0.1 ohm).

As far as the concern of damaging the computer I wouldn't be too concerned, but if you are, you could put an RF choke in the power/ground lines to prevent hi frequency noise leaking back.

Also If this is just a charging circuit (as opposed to a power supply *and* a charging circuit) you might consider configuring the circuit as a constant current source. I talked about doing this in a post I made a few days using a similar device. Check it out: https://www.edaboard.com/threads/195645/#post820013

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Also, just to ensure that your not drawing too much current, you should just take a look at it on the 'scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.