Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LDO design

Purushotham S

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am designing an LDO. I am using two stage opam as error amplifier. I am connecting the output of opam to the gate of pass transistor. How to calculate load cap and Slew rate for opam calculation,l

Hi,

there are many ways to connect a FET to an amplifier.
* N-Ch, P-Ch
* as voltage follower
* as current source
* and so on

--> show your schematic. If you did not draw yet, then it´s high time, at least for a sketch.

A design starts with requirements and specifications. Then to find a suitable solution. There are plenty of LDO designs around. Many come with design notes, examples, calculations...
Just do an internet search, read through a couple of them. Choos the document that suits you most.Try/calculate/simulate on your own. And on questions, show what you have done so far and refer to the document you used.

Klaus

If you designed it then you ought to know how to compute the gain , BW and Rout of the design with various conditions with negative feedback. Then you can determine load range and load sensitivity on stability. A Bode Plot is used to measure phase margin and plot how load R and X(f) affects phase margin. A partial derivative may yield the sensitivity of each part in your gain equation. When using a FET bypass transistor, there may be unstable zones with too small and too large a load capacitance . An internal load Cap and internal RC compensation in a small FET LDO serves to extend gain and phase margin while reducing step load peak errors.

Critical specs;
Vin range
Iout range
PSRR @ 10 MHz = GBW/10 MHz
Compensation RC pole
Minimum load C

also:
Step load error
Thermal error
Input regulation error
Output noise figure.

Last edited:
If you designed it then you ought to know how to compute the gain , BW and Rout of the design with various conditions with negative feedback. Then you can determine load range and load sensitivity on stability. A Bode Plot is used to measure phase margin and plot how load R and X(f) affects phase margin. A partial derivative may yield the sensitivity of each part in your gain equation. When using a FET bypass transistor, there may be unstable zones with too small and too large a load capacitance . An internal load Cap and internal RC compensation in a small FET LDO serves to extend gain and phase margin while reducing step load peak errors.

Critical specs;
Vin range
Iout range
PSRR @ 10 MHz = GBW/10 MHz
Compensation RC pole
Minimum load C

also:
Step load error
Thermal error
Input regulation error
Output noise figure.
Hello Here are my specs
I have been asked to design a LDO. Vin range : 1.62-1.92V, VOUT: 1.4V (3 sigma), Current range: 100u-100mA in 100nsec, Vref: 0.8V( 3 percent +/_), CL=1uF, BW of the Amplifier=5Mhz, gain=6000v/v . I took all these specs and simulated in cadence in all the possible corner with. Now im intrested in designing in two stage amplifier but i want to know the CL, slew rate for the cap.

Screenshot (1).png

Op amps are too weak, generally speaking, to drive a
usefully-large pass FET. So-doing will give you a huge
Miller pole (FET Cgd and op amp linear drive) and poor
HF PSRR & step-load dynamics.

shall i increase the gain to 10000? and how to decide a two stage opam for that mosfet, Any resources?
Ignore my OA comment and read the rest again, then take action. It took me 1 minute. Prefer to note Researchgate.com

I would begin with figuring out the op amp output stage,
which must swing all the way to VIN if you want control of
low-load Vout / Iout (else, go to a Class B output with a
sink FET).

The PMOS output device contributes a widely varying
(w/ Zout, Iout) stage-gain - Zout being not just resistive
but also a pole whose frequency swings wide as well).
You may need some smarts about compensation to
track out that variation as best you can. Like a zero-
resistor (as MOSFET) whose Ron is made to vary with
the state of MPout. But then there's the variation in -that-.

Your loop compensation has to comprise the "op amp"
gain core, any buffer gain and delay and the pass FET.
Working back-to-front is the only way that's ever worked
for me (a front-to-back approach will make a U-turn or
more than one as you add "stuff" along the lineup).

I think I am beginner in this field, can u please let me know any good resources for it. I would be so helpful
There are so many papers online. This is what I wanted you to learn how easy it is to find them. But it seems you did not try. Why is that?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: