Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] LCD PC1602-H contrast problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariuszoll

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I use on my project a LCD PC1602-H from PowerTip. I connected Vo to GND, but I can barely see what is displayed on the display. The software works well.
I read on forums that the LCD works well with Vo connected to -1.2V.
Could you help me please with some ideas of getting this negative voltage with only discrete components?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Read this data sheet.

https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/50573.pdf

Page # 18. It have details about Contrast adjustment of LCD . Vo Schematic.

LCD.JPG

I hope Its helps you

I tried to do it internal, by making a short on J2, and I played a little bit with the values of R7 from 0 to 4k7, but without positive results.

Try this schematic .

lcd_contrast_adjustment_circuit.jpg.

Use single power source.

Last edited:

I made the following test:
I supplied pin Vo through a 4k7 with negative voltage. I noticed that, starting with -1.3V the contrast improved and I can read what is displayed.
At -1.6V the characters can be read very well. I am thinking to a possible solution with diodes connected in series.

The vast majority of HD44780 compatible displays in production today, do NOT require a negative voltage be applied to Vo.

Typically a 10kΩ pot used in the manner indicated by the schematics posted by amayilsamy should suffice.

BigDog

Perhaps a combination of 8.2K and 1.5 or 1.8K would be cheaper solution.instead of diodes whose voltage drop changes with temperature.

As far as I seen, LCDs that are used in a wide range of temperatures, like PC1602H use a negative voltage for the contrast. The necessary voltage I got it from the MAX232 charge pump(pin 6) with a voltage divider.

As far as I seen, LCDs that are used in a wide range of temperatures, like PC1602H use a negative voltage for the contrast. The necessary voltage I got it from the MAX232 charge pump(pin 6) with a voltage divider.

Apparently you have not seen or bothered to review the Powertip PC1602-H Datasheet available from Farnell.

Reference: Powertip PC1602-H Datasheet, Section: 1. Adjusting the contrast of a character LCD module.

Which clearly recommends the use of a 10kΩ to 20kΩ between Vdd and Vss (GND) to bias the contrast (Vo) as previously suggested.

BigDog

Hi,

Unfortunately, I tried with a 50K pot, because I didn't have such a pot provided by the datasheet. The result wasn't very good, the contrast was very poor. Then, I connected the Vo line through a 4k7 resistor to a power supply, and I applied a negative voltage to the pin, based on some comments from the forums.
Astonishing, the results started to reveal starting with a -1.3V, at -1.6V the contrast is very good, and the characters can be read without problems.

Nice that you had overcome the issue.
in fact , had you tried my solution at post#7 you get same result. i even make it more simple like one single 1K or 1.2K resistor from pin3 to ground suffices. I generally use a single 1N4148 diode in that place with cathode to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.