Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD panel, how to drive with a svga signal from a video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailor_eda

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
LCD panel details

Hi there,

I have some LCD panels from laptops that I would like to use. Is there anyway I can drive with a svga signal from a video card ?

The lcd panel is Hitachi TX30D01VC1VCAA

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Sailor_EDA

Sailor_EDA
It looks like that you will have a lot of work to do, expensive materials to use and plenty of time to waste... Personally I would not even dare start it.

LCD pannels are quite difficult to drive using your own driver. I do not know if there are any LCD drivers available for such big pannels but if you want to drive them yourself you should have some things in mind.
LCD screens work by scanning a big two dimentional matrix of pixels. You have X axis and Y axis. One of those two, lets say X is driven by a clock and is common for all pixels in the same row. Each row is scanned at a time. There are two kinds of LCD pannels, those who lit "in phase" and those that lit "out of phase". This means that in order to "lit" a pixel at y=5, if the clock at X is low then you must provide low for "in phase" pannels and high for the "out of phase" kind in the fifth y pin. That means that you must always provide power and oscillation at all pixels even if you want them "off".

X _________----------_______----------_______--
y5 ------------_______------------------------------_
inph....tr..........tr............tr..........ref.........tr
outph..ref........ref.........ref..........tr..........ref

where "tr" is for transparrent and "ref" for reflective (lit) pixel.
In fact it is quite more complex but, sorry, I cannot explaint it :)
You should use many many pieces of very high frequency amplifiers and a "huge" controller to decode svga signal into that matrix.
An other idea yould be to use LCD controllers that can do smaller pieces of the pannel and somehow enable them one at a time disconnecting the others from the same line.

The only sane sollution would be to use its own controller and try to find the way this controller works.

br

Thanks for the info. I did think this would be the case when I got these lcd panels.

Sailor_EDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back