Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lantronix Xport how to use the uart to send data to anoter location

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxtigerxx

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I am new using the LAntronix Xport.

Can someone help me and sending data from the lantronix Xport to another location.

I am using a mcu ( NXP CorteX M0+) and want to send data from the UART to LAN.

Thanks...

You can communicate with the serial port on one side, the other side communicates with the LAN. Basically, the Xport converts your simple serial communication into complicated Ethernet communications. If you have more specific questions, just ask-I've used these devices a lot.

You will probably need to use the "Device Installer" software (free from Lantronix) to configure the device. At the very least you'll need to configure baud rate, handshaking, etc.

Thank you Barry for the information.

I have installed the "Device Installer" from Lantronix. I configure the com port ( baud, handshake etc).

i want to send/receive data from the com port to specific ip ( PC) can you tell me how to do this.

thanks..

I don't know how to do that, I'm not even sure you can; the serial port side of the Xport is unaware of IP addresses and all that messy ethernet stuff, that's the point. But I could be wrong.

The way I've used it is to have the host PC open a socket to the XPORT, send a command to my board (through the Xport) and then have my board respond to that command by simply writing to the serial port. The Xport takes care of everything else.

The Xport is a server, which means it can only respond to a request from something else (a client). That's pretty much the extent of my networking knowledge. :--)

I don't know how to do that, I'm not even sure you can; the serial port side of the Xport is unaware of IP addresses and all that messy ethernet stuff, that's the point. But I could be wrong.

The way I've used it is to have the host PC open a socket to the XPORT, send a command to my board (through the Xport) and then have my board respond to that command by simply writing to the serial port. The Xport takes care of everything else.

The Xport is a server, which means it can only respond to a request from something else (a client). That's pretty much the extent of my networking knowledge. :--)

Barry can you send me how you open a socket from the host PC and get data to the COM port of the XPORT. Or what command or data i can send from the COM port to the XPORT.

Thanks

It all depends on what operating system you're using, what language, etc. I can't tell you how to do that. I've used visual c on windows, and I'm definitely NOT a programmer, I can just barely write enough code to test my hardware.

I'm not sure what you mean by "get data to the COM port of the XPORT". You connect the TXD and RXD ports of your microprocessor to the RXD and TXD ports, respectively, of the XPORT. You may also need to connect the three handshaking lines, if you're using them.

You can write any data you want to the XPORT from either side, you just need to follow the correct serial protocol on the serial port side, and assuming you are using the UART in the microprocessor, that should take care of that.

I have made a PCB to connect the Xport with a serial COM1. I have also a serial program Docklight (like hyperterminal) to send and receive byte from the com.

i just want something to start an application or what you did so i can start see what lantronix can do.

Ok, so you've got the serial port of your PC connected to the XPORT serial port? I hope you have some level shifting, since the PC COM1 is RS-232 levels, but the XPORT serial port is TTL.

Now you've got the ethernet side of the XPORT connected to.....what? You can probably run another communications program that will connect to the PC ethernet port, if you're just trying to test the XPORT.

hello

Can you ping your xport from your PC computer ?
You can use Ezterm -EzTCP to cacth the RS232 flow on this terminal, connected trough the remote IP adresse of XPORT..

You can use TELNET also

You can use VB6 application : Xport_client sockett
see example on my web page Pic_Xport.htm

You can use a terminal and a virtual port ..

What model of XPort? Is part #XP1001001-04R or one of the more advance models?

Which programming language for the PC side application do you prefer, VB6, VB.NET, C#, C++/CLI, C, C++, Java, etc?

Once your programming language of preference is known, there are numerous tutorials and texts which can be recommended.

Example:

An Introduction to Socket Programming in .NET using C#

Linux Sockets Tutorial

They all offer several basic options, use of the HTTP protocol is probably one of the easiest to implement a GUI via web browser and the HTTP protocol can be utilized within a PC side app.

The following demos example PC side applications in both Java and C#:

Java and C# XPort example applications

BigDog

Thank you pailfjujo,

i download the Ezterm. In which protocol i will connect to xport? with TCP or UDP?

PS You you nice site!

- - - Updated - - -

Bigdoggure i am using the #XP1001001-04R.

I am using more C++.

But my final target is to have to board with arm-corteM0 processor to exchange data between each other and from a PC configure some parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back