Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

K-map for synchronous 4-bit decade counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppen

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm a bit at a loss here for a particular assignment we got for one of our labs. I've been using a certain method to derive the k-maps for some circuits, but for this particular one, it didn't really work out too well for some reason. We built and implemented a 4-bit synchronous decade counter. We were then told to make a state diagram, next-state table and a k-map for all the j-k inputs. I'm having a particular issue with the K4/J4 and the K2 maps.

Let me first give you a link to the actual circuit:

**broken link removed**

This is how far I've gotten, I've make a flip-flop transition table, next-state table and also been determining which cells to map with what from it.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Is there a flaw in my reasoning? For example, I first take Q1, and check the position 0000 against the next state. I then derive what to place in that position for J1 and K1, and I do the following for all the other positions and Q2-Q4. Am I using the wrong method, or have I mapped something wrong or written something wrong?

Here's how far I've gotten:
**broken link removed**

2. Relevant equations
J1/K1 should always be high, which is correct.
J2/K2 should be Q1Q4'. The J2 is correct, but the K2 is not.
J3/K3 should be Q1Q2, which is correct.
J4/K4 should be Q1Q2Q3 + Q1Q4. I however, get some other results.

Where am I wrong in my reasoning? I know there's another way to solve the K-maps for this counter, by checking previous outputs when the current output toggles, but I've used this method before, and it has worked just fine. Am I marking the positions on the K-map wrong or am I using the wrong method, or does it not apply to these, or what?

I'm grateful for any help.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 ----------

I noticed some of the expressions on the K-map was wrong, but it didn't change the outcome. Also, the link to the actual circuit might not work for everyone, so here's a working one: **broken link removed**

Here's my current progress: **broken link removed**

Last edited:

If the method of designing is not insisted, there's a tricky way.

You have 10 states. So make a 10 state simple counter (any counter; states must be unique and descrete; say an incrementing counter). Then convert each state into the outputs you wish by a combinational logic. So circuit become structured and easy to debug.

Status
Not open for further replies.