Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jittered clock generating with CADENCE analoglib components

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvaRes

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

How to generate a jiitered clock signal using analoglib vpulse (or vsin) ?
I need such a signal to determine the maximum jitter supported by the flip flops.

Is there another techniques to determine this maximum jitter supported.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Advares.

Re: Jittered clock generating with CADENCE analoglib compone

AdvaRes said:
I need such a signal to determine the maximum jitter supported by the flip flops.
Hi again, AdvaRes,
You could add 2 vpulse (or vsin) sources with different frequencies as close as you want your frequency jitter.

AdvaRes said:
I think on 15-Feb-09 I sent you the Cadence's VCO_workshop_instruction.pdf . See p. 6 ff there!

Salut, erikl

AdvaRes

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

erikl said:
AdvaRes said:
Hi again, AdvaRes,
You could add 2 vpulse (or vsin) sources with different frequencies as close as you want your frequency jitter.

AdvaRes said:
I think on 15-Feb-09 I sent you the Cadence's VCO_workshop_instruction.pdf . See p. 6 ff there!

Salut, erikl

Hi Erikl,

Thanks for replying. If we use 2 sources with differents frequencies there will be a drift with time. I can't see how to get a jitter. Could you please elaborate ?

Yeah sure I got the document regarding the maximum jitter measurment. But my second question was regarding the flip flop. Let me ask the question in another way:
Suppose you have a dff what is the maximum jitter supported by this dff ?
I mean, is there a condition relating peak-to-peak jitter, dff's hold time and setup time that garantees the dff's functionning. (for exemple

peak-to-peak jitter< minimum(hold time, setup time)
or
peak-to-peak jitter<(hold time+ setup time)/2
or something like that.

Its a matter of determining the maximum jitter according to the dff timing constrains.

I hope my question is clear.

Thanks again for replying Erikl,
Cheers,
Advares.

AdvaRes said:
If we use 2 sources with differents frequencies there will be a drift with time. I can't see how to get a jitter. Could you please elaborate ?
drift with time : What else is jitter? Of course - with 2 different frequencies you get a very regular (reproducible) jitter. If you want more realistic jitter, then add a noise source (e.g. from the ahdlLib). Even this is not quite "real" jitter, because it doesn't include 1/f (flicker or "pink") noise. If you need this, you must use an appropriate behavorial model, or use the flicker noise of a real device (like a current-loaded resistor), which you map via a vcvs. (Don't forget to cut off the DC part, in this case, by a huge C, or better compensate it by an appropriate vdc.)

AdvaRes said:
I mean, is there a condition relating peak-to-peak jitter, dff's hold time and setup time that garantees the dff's functionning. (for exemple peak-to-peak jitter< minimum(hold time, setup time)
or
peak-to-peak jitter<(hold time+ setup time)/2 or something like that.

Its a matter of determining the maximum jitter according to the dff timing constrains.

Cheers, Advares.
This all depends on the construction of the DFF: If you use an ideal (behavorial) model, you won't get any jitter from it (as long as you don't add extra behavorial jitter). From a real DFF, the jitter depends completely on its extrinsic (parasitics & load dependent) and intrinsic (transistor model dependent) asymmetries.

HTH! Cheers, erikl

AdvaRes

erikl said:
AdvaRes said:
If we use 2 sources with differents frequencies there will be a drift with time. I can't see how to get a jitter. Could you please elaborate ?
drift with time : What else is jitter? Of course - with 2 different frequencies you get a very regular (reproducible) jitter. If you want more realistic jitter, then add a noise source (e.g. from the ahdlLib). Even this is not quite "real" jitter, because it doesn't include 1/f (flicker or "pink") noise. If you need this, you must use an appropriate behavorial model, or use the flicker noise of a real device (like a current-loaded resistor), which you map via a vcvs. (Don't forget to cut off the DC part, in this case, by a huge C, or better compensate it by an appropriate vdc.)

AdvaRes said:
I mean, is there a condition relating peak-to-peak jitter, dff's hold time and setup time that garantees the dff's functionning. (for exemple peak-to-peak jitter< minimum(hold time, setup time)
or
peak-to-peak jitter<(hold time+ setup time)/2 or something like that.

Cheers, Advares.
This all depends on the construction of the DFF: If you use an ideal (behavorial) model, you won't get any jitter from it (as long as you don't add extra behavorial jitter). From a real DFF, the jitter depends completely on its extrinsic (parasitics & load dependent) and intrinsic (transistor model dependent) asymmetries.

HTH! Cheers, erikl

Thanks Erik,

In the figure below consider the signal 1 (the perfect signal) and signal 2. If I add the two signal I'll get a signal with a variable frequency.
The wanted signal is a signal with the same frequency as signal 1 (the jittered signal in the figure).

AdvaRes said:
In the figure below consider the signal 1 (the perfect signal) and signal 2. If I add the two signal ...
You didn't add. You did a logical OR. But that is another story.

AdvaRes said:
... I'll get a signal with a variable frequency.
Again: What else is jitter? The difference is just in size. You call it jitter, if the variation is in the range of ppm's ... %'s (and if it's random, not repetitive), and then you mostly don't call it frequency jitter, but phase jitter. This is just a matter of expression, how you want it to be presented - actually it's the same.

AdvaRes said:
The wanted signal is a signal with the same frequency as signal 1 (the jittered signal in the figure).
Exactly this is produced by a VCO with a somewhat noisy control voltage - and the Cadence workshop shows how it can be measured. I cannot understand why you might want to feed a jitter signal into a VCO, which generates its own jitter? Of course this could be done, easily, if you feed back the (filtered) VCO output to its input (actually, a similar mechanism is used in a PLL) - or by using a 2nd VCO, but why?

AdvaRes

Hi Erikl,
erikl said:
You didn't add. You did a logical OR. But that is another story.
Please pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by add ?

erikl said:
Exactly this is produced by a VCO with a somewhat noisy control voltage - and the Cadence workshop shows how it can be measured. I cannot understand why you might want to feed a jitter signal into a VCO, which generates its own jitter? Of course this could be done, easily, if you feed back the (filtered) VCO output to its input (actually, a similar mechanism is used in a PLL) - or by using a 2nd VCO, but why?

Let me explain.
Actually I'm using the vpulse element to generate the clock signal for a digital circuit. I wanna simulate this circuit using a jittered clock signal and verify that the circuit works well. Also, I wanna determine the pp (peak to peak) jitter that over which the circuit doesn't work correctly.
Sure a PLL/VCO has a jitter, but you know I have no control on pp jitter. My experiment consist in increasing the pp jitter progressivly till getting errornous result by the circuit. At that time I can say that my circuit support a clock uncertanty=jitter_in_second/clock_periode of, for exemple 10%.

AdvaRes said:
... what do you mean by add ?
Algebraic addition. Putting voltage sources in series, or current sources in parallel.

AdvaRes said:
Let me explain.
Actually I'm using the vpulse element to generate the clock signal for a digital circuit. I wanna simulate this circuit using a jittered clock signal and verify that the circuit works well. Also, I wanna determine the pp (peak to peak) jitter that over which the circuit doesn't work correctly.
Sure a PLL/VCO has a jitter, but you know I have no control on pp jitter.
Sure you have; I already told you on Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:03. Put a noise voltage source in series with a VCO's control voltage source.

AdvaRes said:
My experiment consist in increasing the pp jitter progressivly till getting errornous result by the circuit. At that time I can say that my circuit support a clock uncertanty=jitter_in_second/clock_periode of, for exemple 10%.
In order to achieve this, you progressively increase the value of your noise source (conf. above) - thus the VCO's output jitter - until your follower circuit gives up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back