Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issues regarding powering a microcontroller using a 7805 and a USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to power my microcontroller board using a 7805 (which receives input power via a DC adapter) and a USB port. Assuming only one of these power sources is active at a time, can i just tie the output of the usb and the 7805 together without using a jumper to select the appropriate power? If I tie the outputs together and use the USB, the OUTPUT pin of the 7805 will be subject to 5V. Is that a problem?

Re: Dual Power supply

Update: When I apply a 12V DC between the output and ground pins of the 7805, it draws about 50mA! I guess that means i need to isolate the outputs....

you can use a diode on the usb's power line if you are suspect.

How would that help?The Vusb will still be available across the 7805's output pin right? Besides, I cannot afford a 0.3 volt drop across the diode (I need a full 5 V supply). Anyway, I'm now using a SDPT across the output to select the source :)

I think you can try LT4413 to solve this problem. Even to power source are active at one time, it will still work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back