Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Isolating Ac and Dc Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustafapk

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am working on a project in which i have to isolate the Ac voltages of low amplitude and low frequency (100uV and 1Hz) from a continously decreasing Dc value. i have built just a smiple High pass filter type circuit. but the problem is that due to very low value of amplitude and frequency either the signal doesnt passes or when i reduce the cutoff freqency of the high pass filter the effect of Continously reducing dc voltages also prduces its effect on the output.
One more thing that i also mention here is, when i isolates these voltages they are effected from the Hum noise(50Hz Ac noise.) even i have used 8th order low pass filter of 10Hz cutoff frequency.
I want a technique through which i can completly isloate the Ac signal which isnt effected by the Dc reduction value.
Anyone please help me in solving it.
Thanks

i am surprised why people havent answered such an interesting question on this forum.

mustafapk said:
Hello,
I want a technique through which i can completly isloate the Ac signal which isnt effected by the Dc reduction value.
Thanks

What do you mean with "isolate" ? Is it your task only to REMOVE the ac signal from the decreasing DC voltage or to extract it for further processing ?
As a first guess I would recommend a high-Q active bandpass circuit. But its not easy to design it for a center frequency of 1 Hz.

Mr Mustafa,
Can you upload your circuit and waveforms if you have. It will make discussion easier.

Thanks for replying
Mr. Lvw. Yes i have to get the ac for processing. i have connected a high pass circuit. but the problem is that it doesnt exactly seperate the ac voltages and the slope of dc also gives some changes in it.

Mr. Kumarghz. i didnt make any circuit diagram on jpg. but i think its very simple i am getting my ouput from a sensor which ranges from 0.1 to 2V DC.

To separate an ac signal from a (slighty changing) dc voltage requires a highpass or a bandpass filter.
The problem is the rather low frequency of 1 Hz as it is not easy exactly to design a filter for such a low corner frequency. Because of the varying dc component the Q of the filter must be rather high (let´s say: 10 for instance).
Perhaps a good and exact solution is a commercially available switched-capacitor filter.

LvW said:
Perhaps a good and exact solution is a commercially available switched-capacitor filter.
Do you think i will be successful in my target after using switched capacitor filter. as i have already used high pass active filter.
Thanks

What is the dc decreasing rate in comparison to the 1 Hz signal ?
This figure determines the minimum Q of the filter.
Did you perform already some circuit simulations (with high pass or bandpass) for different pole Q´s ?

hello,
i dont knw whether it will help or not..... but i am doin a proj where i had 2 isolate ac and dc from a mixture (low freq ac) .... wht i did ws, and it worked preety good too, i first split the signal and used a simple op-amp LM347 in one branch to build a dc extractor (if u dnt find this in net, mail me, i will snd u the dc extractor ckt) and in the othr branch, i used a large capacitor to extract the low freg ac....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back