Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Isl29021 to measure distance to pcb

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohamed.elsabagh

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can i use Isl29021 to measure distance between the sensor and pcb??and how??. I found that the reading from this sensors varies a lot due to the light in the room so how can i get a decent and reliable reading from the sensor. If this sensor is not suitable for my application what other solution I can have, especially that I need a small size sensor (e.g. IR sensor)??

How far away from the PCB is the sensor? Where is the sensor mounted/placed?

I found that the reading from this sensors varies a lot due to the light in the room so how can i get a decent and reliable reading from the sensor

Have you foiund this out through experimentation?

The datasheet specifies ambient IR cancellation during proximity sensing.

How far away from the PCB is the sensor? Where is the sensor mounted/placed?

Have you foiund this out through experimentation?

The datasheet specifies ambient IR cancellation during proximity sensing.

the sensor is mounted on a pcb inside a plastic cover. the plastic cover has 2 small holes one for the LED and one in front of the sensor. I found this through experimentation because the sensor return a value of 16 bit to the microcontroller, i found the values at the same height is varied so much when the light is strong and when the light is weak. how can i cancel ambient IR during distance sensor? I want to use this in application where i can measure the distance between the plastic holding the sensor and a pcb. The range of the distances is from 0.5cm to 15cm

Last edited:

how can i cancel ambient IR during distance sensor?

The sensor is supposed to have ambient IR cancellation.

I want to use this in application where i can measure the distance between the plastic holding the sensor and a pcb. The range of the distances is from 0.5cm to 15cm

How about using an ultrasonic sensor?

The sensor is mounted on the PCB. The sensor is measuring the distance. To what? To the same PCB it's mounted on?

The sensor is supposed to have ambient IR cancellation.

How about using an ultrasonic sensor?

The sensor is mounted on the PCB. The sensor is measuring the distance. To what? To the same PCB it's mounted on?

the problem with using ultrasonic sensors is the area it will use is much bigger than the area used by the IR sensors, and also the pcb will be more complex (I need very small pcb). The sensor measure the distance to other object, which in my case is other pcb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back