Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ISIS and MPLAB replacement on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

T3STY

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have switched to Linux since a few weeks and I am getting used to it. Now I want to bring back my PIC programming skills and I need to replace Proteus ISIS and MPLAB IDE with other software available for Linux. I searched on Google and I found that ISIS runs pretty nice on Linux with Wine, but it's still emulated, and since I remember it being a bit slow on Windows I think it'll be even more slower onLinux with Wine. I also found that there is a Linux version of MPLAB but I'm totally lost in it since I'm unable to compile anything; I already installed HiTech PICC Compiler but the IDE won't find the hitech c libraries.
Do you know any good alternatives to those softwares?

p.s. I am running Fedora 18 x64

I think gEDA can replace the ISIS.
I don't remember MPLAB needs to be compiled, there is pre-compiled binary version exist.
By the way, fedora has a project called fedora electronic lab, you can try it.**broken link removed**

I think gEDA can replace the ISIS.
I don't remember MPLAB needs to be compiled, there is pre-compiled binary version exist.
By the way, fedora has a project called fedora electronic lab, you can try it.**broken link removed**

How can gEDA be used for Micro-Controller Simulation..
Is it true...

MPLABX should be supported under linux, but is uses the new XC family of compilers. Many people are having trouble with MPLABX under linux because it requires access to some resources, which you will have to allow for each user that needs to run MPLABX.

There is also SDCC, which claims to support PICS.

If all else fails, try using AVR, ARM, MSP430, which have been supported under linux from their beginnings.

wine can run just about any windows program that you need, the performance penalty is not that bad. One thing to watch for is high CPU usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.