Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is wideband good approach for PSTN for voice and fax services

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfawan

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
AA

is that good approach to use wideband for PSTN

i want to design a system which caries Voice and Fax services over PSTN by using wideband channel. the datarate for voice is 28.8kbps,

also i am intrested to use different channels for Fax and voice.

please give me some professional remarks and any helping meterial

Best Regards

PSTN networks are only rated up to 3 KHZ!!! The local ends are often 90+ years old and are subject to all sorts of cross talk - mainly dialling induction, mains hum and miscellaneous pops and clicks. Also their attenuation can be extremely variable. Its hard to synthesise these in a lab. Also the PSTN operator will put a limit on your send level, so you don't cross talk with other users.
Frank

ADSL works just fine on PSTN lines, they take into account the variable attenuation of the channel by "chopping" it into small pieces and characterise each one.

That said, I doubt your telco operator will appreciate you highjacking their line ;)

I measured the round trip frequency response of telephone lines in the city. 3kHz was at -12dB and high voice vowels sounded very muffled. Consonant sounds from voices did not exist. I complained to Bell and they said it was normal and their limit is -15dB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back