Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there open domain Mathematical modeling tool like VisSim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eltonjohn

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
free simulink alternative

Does any body knows if there is a GNU or other open domain mathematical simulation of models tool like Vissim or elanix or SIMULINK ??

simulink alternative

Hi eltonjohn,

I am not sure that it is exactly what you need. (I am not familiar with VisSim) But the good free alternative of Simulink is Ptolemy.

Please check https://ptolemy.berkeley.edu/

The facts I know:
1. It is linux projects , so must have linux or have to use cygwin (linux emulation under windows)
2. The project is very ambitious and is implementing in Berkeley university.
3. I tried it 4 years ago was very mature but from the Berkeley decided to start using java and they started to rewrite the code.
4. Currently I don't know if the java version can be used for the real work ... but you can download the old (classical ptolemy-not java version) as well
5. It is quite open can write your own code in order to expand the functionality ... but linux development experience are needed.
6. Ptolemy is used as a core in the Agilent’s ADS system (quite expensive)

Please let me know if the current version is good enough!

regards
dora

simulink alternatives

I found two nice simulation envirements .One is a clone of MATLAB called octave is uses the same syntax . The other is SCILAB .. both have open sources .. i have the idea to port the SIMULATION KERNEL to POWERFUL DSP and use M files directly to do DSP real time pocessing !
No compilation .. Just download and execute IN FLOATING POINT mode
The MATLAB functions will be optimal already ! And to my surprise both implement PVM so it will be possible to create parallel DSP computing enviroments.

alternatives to simulink

Scicos is a FRENCH enviroment VERY POWERFUL and free TO SIMULATE dynamic and HYBRID systems .. It is possible to produce C code with a tool called COMEDI CODEGEN ..
So there is an alternative to SYNTHETISE C code for DSP from a MATLAB compatible ENVIROMENT / Now i need to see if is possible to Synthetise vhdl from the same SOURCES ..

alternate for elanix

Hi eltonjohn,

Hmmm octave is out of concern I think.

About scilab: I have tried it in the past, it is quite powerful indeed, Now i see that they have put simulation tool like simulink in it. It offers matlab alternative but in my opinion should be used only if you don't have (can not afford) matlab on your PC!

dora

vissim linux

hi dora,

i am interested in simulink, and have to do dsp simulation in simulink.
how can i get accoustomed to the tool.
are there any sites that have useful info??

thanks..

simulink free alternative

dalaharp said:
hi dora,

i am interested in simulink, and have to do dsp simulation in simulink.
how can i get accoustomed to the tool.
are there any sites that have useful info??

thanks..

Recorded seminar (webinar) related to simulink is available in mathworks.com site.

It will be helpful at the initial phase to get use to the simulink tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back