Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there any methode for increasing the LED brightness??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elits

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
led brightness increase with lens

Hi all,
Is there possible for us to increasing the LED brightness beside increasing the voltage driver ? could u give some reference...
thanks

Elits

i think "not sure" that the current is what matters , so u can decrease the series resistance but take care as this might burn the LED.
regards.

HI DEAR,
ITS NOT POSSIBLE TO INCREASE THE BRIGHTNESS OF A LED. IF YOU SHOULD DO THIS THERE IS A MAXIMUM RISK OF ITS BURNING.

LEDs are like incandescent lights. The current also controls the life. One option is the angle the light emits from. This is controlled by the lens effect of the coating. If you want to see them only straight on, you can get one with a narrower angle.

The more current flowing through, the more brightness it will get;Too much current may reduce the life span of the LED or even blow it up.

Try an LED with clear outer cover (like one with no color).

the problem is the brightness increases with current but it reduces the LEDs life

u cant increase the brightness of led..

Brightness is a function of cuurent. but there is a max limit to it otherwise the led will burn out.

so u better use a no. of leds in parallel for more light illumination

I would be very carefull with overdriving leds. Stick to the spcification of the device then it will not let you down. Last thing you would want would be for the led`s in question todye premiturly.

Barrybear

every LED has a max voltage an current rating which should not be exceeded; the optical luminisecnce at this MAX voltage/current rating is that max that you can have for a given LED. If you want to have a "sharper" output, you may need to use LEDs with bright colors like blue, red or LEDs with lenses that produce a sharp beam/more coherent output.Exceeding the voltage/current ratings will damage and/or burn the LED.

Impulse High Voltage is a soln..

no u cant increase led brightnes , for this u need to go into solid state theory of LED

That's right. The LED has a maximum brightness for every type, color and size of LED. Try to visit the site below..

**broken link removed**

HI elites ,
i got ur problem hero ....i guess ur LED is not glowing as bright as they shud. ... i agree tht the voltage drop across LED is always constant for a given LED (eg.4.1v for white LED) ...therfore the light emission of the led is control by the current only ....so dude try to flow the saturation current ,I(sat) by varying resistance value ....which makes the LED to glow at maximum brightness ....u can have the value of I(sat) simply on the data sheet

your worthwhile
abhinav

yes you can increase the brightness, try pulsing the LED, An led can withstand a high current for a very short duration giving a high intensity output. what you can try is discharging a capacitor through it for a very very short time, This is the principle used in infrared remote controls. look here http://www.stockeryale.com/i/leds/lit/app001.htm
and here http://www.cappels.org/dproj/PulseBoostLED/Pulse_Boost_White_LED.html

because our eyes integrate light the LED will look considerably brighter.

Yes...impulse voltage is the best way to get bright light from LED. It obviously works for our eyes due to persistence of vision but it also works for many sensors like TSOP and SHARP sensor for distance measurement.

I fear a basic misunderstanding of LED behaviour by those who suggested pulsed operation. If you take a close look at the intensity
versus input current characteristic, you'll notice that the dependency is at best linear with a slight efficiency drop at higher currents.

But the dissipated power will always increase more than linear due to the increasing voltage drop. This leads to the simple
conclusion, that optimal efficiency can be expected in continuous DC operation. Fortunately, the efficiency drop in pulsed operation
with moderate duty cycles isn't too severe, so multiplex operation is still possible.

Optical data transmission is ruled by different properties, by the way, mainly when receiver noise or interfering signals are the
limiting factors.

Re: led brightness increase with lens

Elits said:
Hi all,
Is there possible for us to increasing the LED brightness beside increasing the voltage driver ? could u give some reference...
thanks

Elits
use led at maximum rated voltage and sent maximum forward continuous current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back