Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is the programmer for 18f4550 the same as for 16f877 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIC2PIC

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello !

I already had some experience with pic 16f877. From now on I intend to use 18f4550. Can I use the same programmer like the one I used for 16f877 . The programmer I use is parallel port PIC programmer.

Hi,

The hardware is usually the same, its the controlling software that matters.

Look in the Device table of the programmer you have to see if it lists the 4550.

Let us know the details of the hardware and software you are using, sometimes there is alternative software you can use.

Actually it is homemade programmer. I used it for programing 16f84 ,16f876, 16f877 and I don't know much about it. It was just good enough for these 16fxxx PICs. I write asm program in MPLAB and use WinPicpro software to transfer a hex program to PIC.
Also, 18f4550 is new to me. I know it has a USB, and that is what I am starting with. It is very interesting to me to make a communication via USB. I read somewhere it has to be some program in 18f4550 in order to communicate with computer via USB connector. I don't know nothing how to do this.
It seams to me like is much more complicated to program and use 18f4550 then 16fxxx.

Hi,

This software will program a 4550 but not sure if it will work with your hardware as you give no details - but its worth a try.
PIC Programmer for Windows - Help Index

Afraid you will be disappointed about USB chips - Microchip suply masses of demo code for using those chips but they are in C only.

So unless you are ready to move to C then forget about USB chips for now.
However 18F chips such as the 2520 and 4520 etc do offer a lot more features and are easier to code in Assembler.

However you can still get a USB connection from almost any Pic chip by sending out Serial data to a cheap Serial to USB converter cable, often used with older PC printers.

The best way to start is create a serial link to you PC / Hyperterminal to prove you can get comms working, then introduce the converter cable.
Here's a good tutorial PIC Tutorial* Seven - RS232

yes you can use the same programmer hardware

Hi wp100 and rajudp !

Thank you all for helping.

wp100
Let me explain more exactly what I want to do, so maybe you can advice me.

I already made a "Visual C#" program that makes connection via PARALEL PORT, the connection computer -> PIC 16f877 and vice versa. And it is OK.
What I want is to make the same connection but instead of using PARALEL PORT I want to make connection via USB. But I don't know at all how to do this. I read that the 18f4550 have a USB possibilities but I consider that even 16f877 is good enough to me. But I don't have a clue how to make that connection. A connection via paralel port is so easy. Just have to use some parallel port registers. But how to use USB.

Also I'd like to move to C, but is there any free C and also tutorial for it. I have some expiriance with C++ but not for Microcontroller programming.

Hi wp100 and rajudp !

Thank you all for helping.

wp100
Let me explain more exactly what I want to do, so maybe you can advice me.

I already made a "Visual C#" program that makes connection via PARALEL PORT, the connection computer -> PIC 16f877 and vice versa. And it is OK.
What I want is to make the same connection but instead of using PARALEL PORT I want to make connection via USB. But I don't know at all how to do this. I read that the 18f4550 have a USB possibilities but I consider that even 16f877 is good enough to me. But I don't have a clue how to make that connection. A connection via paralel port is so easy. Just have to use some parallel port registers. But how to use USB.

Also I'd like to move to C, but is there any free C and also tutorial for it. I have some expiriance with C++ but not for Microcontroller programming.

Hi,

Well afraid I am not really the person to advise you as I have no knowledge of Virtual C and little on C.

As mentioned earlier, with Assembler you can use most 16F or 18F chips USART to send out data serially and pass it though a Serial to USB converter cable.

If you want to use a USB chip like the 4550, one of many, then you need C.

Goto the Microchip site and look up their Complier and USB pages - they have a massive store of free compliers and tutorials for their chips and megabytes of USB download demo programs that will keep you busy for years !

Am sure that will raise many more questions for you but other more knowledgable guys than me in this forum will surely help you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back