Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is not allowable to rate the 1st message topic poster

Status
Not open for further replies.

andre_luis

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends,

I notice that sometimes, threads are open, not to ask, but just to share informations.
However, due to some constraints, it is not possible to thanks by clicking HELPED ME button.

My suggestion is to enable this feature.

+++

Could you send me some examples?

OK I activated this on the first post.

...this is an example of why this feature was disabled in the first place...

Hi alexan_e,

I'm not totally convinced that the error evaluation of any probably newbie member, or even inadvertent trigger of button score may have been the initial cause of disabling this functionality.

In my opinion, this feature would have been originally created to evaluate the answers of any doubt, and may not have been predicted to evaluate some posting target just to share informations.

+++

What I'm saying is that in every 100 threads there is maybe one that is created just to share information , should this feature be enabled for this 1% or less when it will lead to random ratings to posts that should get a rating?

Actually after seeing many cheaters regarding ratings in the last couple of years I think that instead of adding rating to the first post we should remove them all together from the forum.
I have seen too many posts that don't deserve a rating to get one and even more posts that deserved a rating to never get one so I don't see the point.

...I have seen too many posts that don't deserve a rating to get one and even more posts that deserved a rating to never get one ...

alexan_e,

Wrong rating could be done not only for 1st posting, but for any furthers, and this could not be the real reason for disabling this functionality. Once you gave the statistics that proportion of 1st messages target to share informations are negligible , I agree to you to (re)disable this feature.

However, I keep thinking that another option should be elaborated to reward persons who devoted time to share their so useful experience.

+++

Once you gave the statistics that proportion of 1st messages target to share informations are negligible , I agree to you to (re)disable this feature.
You have been a member in the forum long enough, have you seen that many threads created to share information, I personally don't see such threads created often

However, I keep thinking that another option should be elaborated to reward persons who devoted time to share their so useful experience
I think being able to help and share knowledge and learning from it in the process is already a reward enough for the person providing it no matter if it is a first post or a reply to someone else's question or if there is a rating.
On the contrary whenever there is a reward involved in an activity there are often users that try to take advantage of it.

...I think being able to help and share knowledge and learning from it in the process is already a reward enough for the person providing it no matter if it is a first post...

I was not getting sight untill now, but you´re right...
Thanks a lot !

+++

Looks like this wasn't good idea, still option "helpful" is using in wrong way.
Helpful option in first post disabled.

Why though?

What is wrong with it? what is the negative side of it being enabled anyway?

Most threads are started with questions.
Users do not use this option correctly - they click on questions.

I could be like some people want to ask the same question but cant because it will create repetitive threads, so they clicked on the "helped me" button. Just a good gesture of course ;-)
I think being able to help and share knowledge and learning from it in the process is already a reward enough for the person providing it
Anyway, this is why I like this forum, kudos...

Someone asking a question that is the same one you want to ask ISN'T helping you - it is the person ANSWERING the question that is helping. You have just explained why the system is being abused.

Keith

Is it being abused though?
If someone asks a question and they get thanked for it - why is that abuse?

What's the point of thanks anyway? it does not gain a member anything other than having been thanked.

I doubt there is an underworld of people posting questions and getting accomplices to thank them for nefarious reasons :)

I doubt there is an underworld of people posting
questions and getting accomplices to thank them
for nefarious reasons

Usually they simply set up duplicate accounts and thank themselves. It may sound strange but it happens more than you would expect.

Keith

- - - Updated - - -

If someone asks a question and they get thanked
for it - why is that abuse?

As I have already said - how is asking a question helping someone? It isn't. Answering a question helps people.

What's the point of thanks anyway? it does not gain a member anything other than having been thanked.

My point exactly , so no one will miss it if we remove it altogether :wink:

Usually they simply set up duplicate accounts and thank themselves...

Once forum server knows exactly from what IP each user is connected, isn´t possible to record last internet location from rated user ( assuming be offline during thanks event ) to detect this duplicity ? In fact this procedure would not prevent some fake rating if the user connects, for instance, alternately at wireless or cabled network, but at least would avoid in most times, I presume.

+++

Most users are not on fixed IP addresses. Moderators have plenty of work to do without spending our time trying to prevent abuse of the 'helped' ratings so as Alex says, does it really serve any useful purpose?

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.