Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to listen to mp3 from 89c51?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajeeshmonar

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
89c51

helo frnd
can i download a bit music from computer to 89c51 microcontroller
by using spi downloader .how can i convert mp3 format to hex format
is it possible .can i hear this song from 89c51 by using a dac 0800 and op amp
if have any other information about it please write me

Re: 89c51

its technically possible to play MP3 music with 89C51. But i think no one would prefer it.

Playing music requires a lot of processing, i dont think a traditional 89c51 at 20 MHz can do it. You need a lot of memory, preferably flash memory(Memory cards), so that interface is also to be implemented.

There are a lot of dedicated chips available.
check this

h**p://www.maxim-ic.com/solutions/mp3_portable/index.mvp?pl_pk=50

can i download a bit music from computer to 89c51 microcontroller

Just compare the memory size of a normal audio file and memory capacity of your 51 core.
However, midi files consume less space (10-25k), so find a 51 core with say 32K memory.

89c51

Hi,

your relationship wqith memory sizes seams a little out of sync. A typical MP3 song, 4 minutes long uses approx. 4 MBytes of memory. The 89C51 has 4kBytes of memory. Even the biggest standard variants do not have more than 128kBytes. Assuming 128kBytes, you could store approximately 8 seconds of 128-bit coded MP3 file.
The other problem is, that a regular 51 does not have enough performance to decode an MP3 file in realtime.
You might want to look into an ARM7 variant and store the MP3 files in an external SD card.
Hope this is helpful, Bob

89c51

Tercio,

I was curious how a 51 can do the decoding, well it might be able to but the projects you linked to, use an external MP3 decoder. With a 32-bit micro or a DSP, the decoding is done by the micro / DSP, with most 8-bit micros not.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.