Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it necessary to connect the currrent shieldings with ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarillak

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it necessary to connect the currrent shieldings with ground?

Is there any specific reason for this action?
can anyone explain about the current shieldings?

In analog layout,
current shielding is a technique which is used to by-pass a sensitive signals from one place to another place.For example if we pass a current (in nA or uA).that current line was superimposed near-by metals.

I'm not sure I understand your question precisely, but in almost all cases a shield needs to have a low impedance path to ground to function properly. A shield that is not connected to ground (or is connected, but with too high impedance) can make things worse.

I believe that the "Current Shieldings" you are refering to are also known as "guard bands" . Guard bands should be connected to the same potential as the sensitive circuit point you are trying to protect. For example, if the sensitive point is the inverting input of a simple inverting amplifier, then the guard band should connect to ground. If, the sensitive point has a DC bias voltage, then the guard band should connect to a potential equal to the DC bias. This ensures that there will be no steady state current flow between the sensitive point and the guard band.

Status
Not open for further replies.