Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is effective data rate same as symbol rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iVenky

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Here's one question-

If something generates 1000 characters per second. Assume that each character is encoded using 8-bit. In addition to each character extra 2 bits are added for some other purpose. (i.e. each character needs 10 bits). If I use QPSK what is the effective data rate?

I know to calculate the symbol rate. I don't know the meaning of effective data rate. Is that same as symbol rate?

What is the answer for the above question?

Thanks a lot

1000 characters per second multiply to 8 bits = you have 8kbps of effective data rate
Total bit rate will be (8+2)*1000 = 10kbps.
QPSK means that you transmit 2 bits pes channel symbol. So your channel symbol rate is 5ksps.

1000 characters per second multiply to 8 bits = you have 8kbps of effective data rate
Total bit rate will be (8+2)*1000 = 10kbps.
QPSK means that you transmit 2 bits pes channel symbol. So your channel symbol rate is 5ksps.

I know the symbol rate, I want to know the effective data rate.

Thanks a lot.

I answered: the effective data rate is 8 kbps. Is it the same as symbol rate? - No, cause you may transmit various number of bits by single channel symbol. And not all of that bits are user data like in example you posted.

Reactions: iVenky

iVenky

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.