Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is 12 Flex board (fpc) really almost the same as pcb board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCIteacher

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have currently been asked this question from a student of mine years ago now working as an engineer. He designs for FPC and know a bit about PCB too. There is a flex board with 12 layers, and he wonders who on the earth might need this kind of board and where to get it manufacturered? Simply because if it is 12 layer or 20 layer, the board itself might be hard rock already. Why not change the design to pcb and solve the technical issues when producing those boards in fpc. Another thing is, these boards are way too difficult to be manufacturered. Not to mention that it cannot be mass produced. No one seems to have the capability out there in Asia to manufacture such boards. Any advice for my student? Please advise. If you do know any manufacturer who can do 12L fpc or 12L rigid-flex, please share.

Hi,
I think the best way is to search on net country wise or area wise for the quickest answer and way out to get the manufacturers address or even contact number.

They are almost the same. It is very dependent on the type of fpc he is doing. There are flex to install and dynamic flex applications. The FPC's are used to save space and wieght most of the time. High layer count FPC's do get rigid but with the materials that are available a 12 layer can still be thin and flexible. On another note FPC's can also be preformed. Email me and I can give you some info on some manufacturers if you are still looking.

Thanks for your advise. I found this manufacturer called Finpo Electronic. They can handle the task, but also claim that 12 Layer FPC would be almost hard as FR4 with what I need. Now, I am reconsidering designing the CAM or gerber file they called from this FPC into a FR4. They said it is much cheaper and since with 12 Layer, the flexibility is basically disappeared. That would be the most economical way of doing it.

After I tried quoting with them on their website FPC | PCB Board | PCBFinpo.com , I was able to get this prototype order for just USD 220.35

That sounds not too expensive to me when the local PCB Solution offered USD 375 and with 2 extra days needed.

Guess I found my shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back