Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR2110 -IRF540, voltage Spikes at the current sense resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

azorfa

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
With the circuit implemented to drive the DC motor using the two IR2110 IC's constructed in a full bridge form,
we are able to drive the DC Motor with the deadtime generated at the LIN and HIN inputs. But the output signals at LO and
HO, with the CRO probes at the input of the Gate resisitors (22Ohms) the pulses we obtained are as shown in the attached files. Even though the dead time is generated, and even though the lower MOSFET is turned off, it wont turn off till the Upper MOSFET gets turned on, resulting in a very large spike at the current sense resistor due to the turn on of both the mosfets at a fraction of time. A diode resistor in parallel are also connected at the Gate of MOSFETs. I think , the MOSFETs we are using (IRF540N) are able to withstand this large current, so as per now we are not facing the short circuit problem. But at times, may be due to this reason our entire Full bridge section is getting burst and fail.
Please suggest me how to solve these large current spikes, and how to obtain a noisy free PWM waveforms at LO and HO.
PWM Frequency : 24KHz
MOSFET : IRF540N

Please go throuugh the attached circuit and output waveforms and acknowledge me at the earlier.

Re: IR2110 -IRF540, voltage Spikes at the current sense resi

The shunt measurent doesn't exactly represent the bridge current, I think. There is a large amount of inductive voltage drop included, either due to an inductive shunt or unsuitable probe connection.

Furthermore, the waveform don't actually prove the existence cross conduction in the bridge stage, although the control deadtime may be possibly increased. Also the gate resistor value could be reduced.

A lot depends also on low inductance circuit layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.