Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IP2 point extrapolated from IP3 point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fran Fogarty

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys, new to this forum.
i was wondering is there a relationship between IP3 and IP2. so that you could estimate IP2 based on a measured IMD3 value and an approx IP3 point value?
Regards

Hi,

just researching about this point myself and it does not seem possible from the docs I found.

Only found this paper,
http://www.signalpro.biz/pointsf1.pdf
Where they show below rule of thumb
IP2 = 1dBCP + 27 dB ( sigma = 8.1 dB)

However I d not trust it, there is also a similar rule of thumb between IP3 and P1db which in the practice does not seem to work in my experience.

BR
Carlos

There is no direct relationship between IP2 and IP3 (or between IM2 and IM3), the same as for example, there is no direct relationship between 2nd harmonic and 3rd harmonic of an amplifier.

In case of two-tone input signal if you relate to the fundamental level (f1 and f2), IM2 increase 2dB for 1dB increase of the fundamental, and IM3 increase 3dB for 1dB increase of the fundamental. These are valid only if the amplifier is not in saturation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back