Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

internal structure of 8279

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klinec

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
does anyone know the internal structure of the 8279 programmable keyboard controller? not the block diagram i know that one. i need the complete schematics with all the flip-flops and everything...

Contact Intel but don't expect cooperation, I doubt they will give you the information you want as it would be copyrighted.
There are probably thousands of gates inside such a device, it would be almost impossible to replicate in individual components, why don't you use a real 8279 or design something for yourself?

Brian.

Reactions: Klinec

Klinec

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
well i wish i could use the 8279, but it's for uni project and we're forbidden to use ready components such as 8279, just flip-flops and gates, and some standard components for ram and rom, like 8185, 8255 (is the one exception that we can use). the project is to interface a 103-key keyboard to an 8086 microprocessor. any ideas?

Trying to mimic the 8279 would be my least favored solution, it is a very good device but not optimized for your specific purpose.
For 103 keys, if you arrange them in a matrix, you only need 11 control lines to read them in a 10x11 array, you would have 8 keys left over for other purposes. If you can use generc logic circuits, you can achieve this with two 4-bit ports, each decoded to one of 16 lines. If you drive one of 16 lines into the matrix and receive a key number back on the other 4 lines you can read 256 keys using only 8 signals. You could therefore use something like a PIC16xx IC to scan all your keys and it could return the data in almost any format you want. It's a one chip solution abd costs very little.

Brian.

Hi,
I think that 8279 is a preprogrammed version (ROM based) of UPI-41/A.
Or Universal peripheral interface 8041/A, 8641/A, 8741/A, etc.
It is similar to UPI-42 or 8042, 8742.
It is based on MCS-48 or 8048, 8748, 8049, ….., etc.
UPI-41/42 was used in the keyboards of IBM PC.
I hope that will help.
Regards
Petre Petrov

the opencores.com website has some open source keyboard controllers in VHDL/verilog.
I have used one of them on an FPGA.
You can check their source code to see what they do internally. And either re-implement, or re-use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back