Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] Interfacing between USB and SD card voltage levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venkadesh_M

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All, I want to interface between MMC card and USB pen drive with a PIC 16F controller. My problem is voltage level two devices, USB has 5V logic and SD card operates on 3.3V, So how can I do this with out voltage level convertors or anything else am I missing?

I am New to USB, So please give me if you have any sample code for USB interfacing.

Thanks In Advance !!

Interface voltage levels is a minor problem. The USB data lines are usually interfaced with a 3.3V supplied driver, 5V processors have an internal 3.3V regultor for this purpose.

To interface a USB pen drive, you need an interface with host/OTG functionaility. PIC16 or PIC18 don't have it. Starting with PIC24.

There's a complete collection of USB and SD card projects in the Microchip Application Libarary, e.g. datalogger on USB pen drive etc.

The USB data lines are usually interfaced with a 3.3V supplied driver, 5V processors have an internal 3.3V regultor for this purpose.

Sorry I couldn't get it, Please Can you explain further ?

Do you mean Vbus only needs 4.5 to 5.5V but the D lines need only 3.3V for logic ?

Last edited:

Do you mean Vbus only needs 4.5 to 5.5V but the D lines need only 3.3V for logic ?
Yes. Review USB spec or datasheet of USB PIC...

Status
Not open for further replies.